• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Porriage Oats

**Bonnie**

Mama Doe
Hiya,

My friend wants to fatten up her three legged bunny she rescued yesterday.

It must be only 8-10 weeks old.

I know porriage oats is the best but is he/she too young for this?? he/she is tucking in to loads of hay and pellets which is great but is very bony :cry:

Thanks

I'd give him/her a few days to settle first as I think you said she's had to change the dry food too?

Thanks guys...

he/she was fed on guinea pig food, so bryony has given pellets with some guinea pig food in just so it doesn't upset its tummy with a total change of diet.

I'll tell her to just give 2 spoonful of oats in the evening then and pellets in the morning.

have said not to give veg as it is only 8-10 weeks and am sure it is too young for veg just yet.

I don't think I'd give as many oats as that, they are very 'gloopy' and starchy and he is only a baby. I only give Santa around a level teaspoon a day when she is snuffly, remember to soak them in a little water first as well, or they could swell up too much in his little tum. On a teaspoon a day, Santa gained over 100g in less than a fortnight (quite a lot considering she only weighed 880g to start with) so you don't need many!

a tea spoon of oats mixed with water would be a good amount to start with. I know it doesn't sound like a lot but best to start small as they're very filling and he/she will need the fibre from hay and nutrients from the rabbit food as much as to put on weight.

A rabbit that age can be introduced to greens but because of the circumstances I'd leave it until he/she's has settled in a few weeks and got used to the other diet changes.

Changing rapidly to a good diet can be as bad as sticking to a bad diet. Although it's tempting to feed it all the good stuff asap, it's better to introduce things slowly :)

Tam

Back