• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Audrey, our rescue bun

fenchurch

Warren Scout
When looking for a doe to keep our lovely lop Earnest company I was determined to wait for the perfect rabbit. I wanted a relaxed friendly bun, partly for me and partly because I wasn't sure how a nervous rabbit would cope as a house-rabbit. We looked for two months with no luck. I live in Australia and there are only large animal shelters focusing mostly on cats and dogs. There are only four animal shelters within driving distance [ie under two hours] and most of these had 0 - 4 rabbits.

I spent literally hours at shelters getting to know does and just not clicking. The new bunny was primarily for Earnest, but the buns we introduced him to he really didn’t like. Then I met Audrey and within three minutes wanted to take her home. We’d decided not to take Earnest to meet does anymore as the driving made him grumpy so we just took her home. :shock: She was skittish but easy to handle so I though she was nervous but not too scared of people. I have since realised that Audrey is easy to handle as she basically freezes in fear. :( She came into the shelter with twelve [!!] other rabbits, all who had to be put down. My poor Audrey!

She and Earnest bonding very easily and are now madly in love and never more than three feet apart.

We've had Audrey four months now and she is still nervous of us. We spend a fair bit of time with them, hand feed them their greens, talk to her and every now and again try to give her a nose rub. Aside from that we've decided to basically leave Audrey to do her thing.

I feel that Audrey has been badly let down by people in the past and feel very strongly that I need to respect her. If she doesn't want to be friendly with us she is completely justified! I want to post about this as it actually makes me feel quite teary and I'd like to explain it to bunny people who might understand.

She has been let down and neglected and if I can make up for this in any small way by giving her a friend, medical care and a safe home I feel honoured.

This is Audrey
DSC00022.jpg

and Audrey and Earnest
DSC00030.jpg

She is also the most binky-ey bunny I've ever met and has an endearing habit of rolling on her back and flashing her white belly.

I guess she's taught me the honour of a purely caretaking relationship with a rabbit. She is a very sweet natured and loving rabbit and it doesn't matter if she never expresses that towards us.

Back