• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

indoor rabbit and dog ??

bexn2kids

Warren Scout
hey all we have a indoor rabbit and we have had him for about 2 months now and we all love him to bits but my partner and my son would like to get a dog aswell which am not sure if that would be possiable as thumper lives in his cage in my living room and has a free run of the living room when the kids are in bed, would a dog go to actack a rabbit ?? does any one have a indoor rabbit and a dog ?? i could convert my cupboard under my stair in my living room for my rabbit which i was going to do and just take the door off and get a little gate to go on there then thumper can have a run around in the all day and not have to be in the cage in the day would this be ok ?? tc luv becks x

uh ya forgot to say if it istant possiable to have a dog and rabbit then i wont get a dog as i love my thumps to much

It depends greatly on the dog - I would not trust mine alone with a small furry of any kind. Avoid terriers like the plague, if you go for a herding or retriever type they would be better and probably have dog from a pup so it grows up with the rabbit. A female would probably be better too.

Also, when you bring the dog into the home, put it in a carrier/crate and let the bun run around it so that bun has the chance to see it isn't scary (and dog can't run at it) this will allow bun to become more confident. I'd personally get an older dog from a rescue as they're less excitable than a puppy which will want to play and nip at a bun.

we have a retriever/collie cross. He is now 14 but we got him when he was 4 months and he is great with any animal . Here are pics of him with cheekybun (sadly at the bridge) but these photos show how well they got on . So I do agree with retrievers or maybe even a lab ??

tobyandcheeky.jpg

P5020180.jpg

P2240021.jpg

P3230112.jpg

Towsbuns said:
It depends greatly on the dog - I would not trust mine alone with a small furry of any kind. Avoid terriers like the plague, if you go for a herding or retriever type they would be better and probably have dog from a pup so it grows up with the rabbit. A female would probably be better too.
Avoid terriers like the plague
George and mildred are very offended :(
Both my staffies are great with all small furries they have both been bought up with them from pups
DSCF0099.jpg

78766eb9affa91d9fb23e9af93ba0449.jpg

572e78bab83cf97cef0b782b863ab6a1.jpg

thanks so much i love the pics of the dog with the rabbit , my favorite is the staffy rubbing noise with the rabbit that is so cute xxxxxxx

That is the best foto of your white staff with the rabbit!
I agree that dogs should be brought in as puppies, especially if they are the more terrier or hounding type.
and generally * not always* retrievers and collies and labs probalby are the better idea.

If you can get the dog to accept the rabbit as part of the "pack" then you should have no problems. No idea how to go about that though!! Good luck!!

Back