• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Cats and rabbits

Shell

Alpha Buck
I have noticed that a lot of people let their bunnies have run of the garden when supervised.

A couple of weeks ago, I let Bugsy and Lola in the garden for a while. After about 10 minutes a cat appeared on the fence and was staring at my little Bugsy :shock: I scared the cat off and started trying to round the bunnies up to get them back inside. I got Lola in but Bugsy thought was funny to refuse to come in :roll: The cat reappeared and I started to panic. I finally got Bugsy in and have never let them run free in the garden since.

They spend time outside in a run but I'd love them to have run of the whole garden occasionally.

I don't know a lot about cats and wondered how much of a threat is a cat to a rabbit?

It really does depend on the cat and how big your bunnies are. 2 of my mum's cats are scared of my rabbits, they can't understand the way they move and it makes them jump to see them binkey :lol: I have a frenchie and a lionhead. one cat is a bit wild, I wouldn't trust him even though he just watches my bunnies. one cat just ignores them, just thinks " oh, not those funny things again," and goes back to sleep. I don't think any of them would go in for the kill :shock:
another thing you need to worry about is if the cat gets close and scratches your bunnies in the face. Not all bunnies are scared of cats and most are very curious and like to get too close. cats hate having their space invaded and lash out with their claws :shock:
I would just keep close by and watch the cat carefully.

i let my buns free range in the garden but i can see them from my lounge, we have cats around ours but haven't seen any in the garden. Not sure what a cat would do??

My cat is fine with my buns, but if I see any neighbourhood cats I throw water over them- even if the buns are in the run, as I want them to understand that my garden is a dangerous place to be!

Hi Shell I wouldn't let a bun as small as Bugsy free run as there are hawks everywhere and they have chicks at th moment and will take a rabbit...you willl not see anything the rabbit will just dissappear :( so a covered run is the best option for tiny buns! :D

I let Jack run free but then we have a very small garden and Jack is very easy to catch. I am never more than three foot away from him. We have a couple of nasty cats that'll come over our garden wall and I have no doubt they would have a go at Jack - he's so soft until the last minute he'd be trying to give them a bunny kiss!!!

honeybunny said:
Hi Shell I wouldn't let a bun as small as Bugsy free run as there are hawks everywhere and they have chicks at th moment and will take a rabbit...you willl not see anything the rabbit will just dissappear :( so a covered run is the best option for tiny buns! :D

:shock:

Thanks for the advice guys :thumb:

Back