• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Leaving bunnies in the garden

bluebunny

Wise Old Thumper
When your not there

Mine have been out in there runs all weekend but i havent left them

today im back at work im wondering wether to put them out or leave them in?

The things to ask yourself are;

Can they tunnel out (If on grass)
Can the get the lid of the run open?
Have them got shade/shelter and water?

Gem said:
The things to ask yourself are;

Can they tunnel out (If on grass)
Can the get the lid of the run open?
Have them got shade/shelter and water?
There on concrete
nope fully secure
they have a blanket over the run
and water all the time

Amy's run is attached to her hutch and she has access to it 24/7, it's on grass and although she is a digger she tends to limit that to the flower bed! If you feel it is safe then go 4 it, sure ur buns will like it in the summer.

all my buns have attached runs so have access all day. Run 1 is in full sun but I have lino, a ground sheet and an old duvet cover on top for sun and rain protection, pegged down cause it keeps blowing off! Run 2 is on grass and uncovered, it has a mesh bottom so no digging out and is half in sun half shade, run 3 is on concrete and totally in the shade!

As well as just covering shade, I think that buns in exposed runs should have a box or hidey hole, they can feel very insecure if they don't have a bolt hole, especially if they are out for a long time or unsupervised. It also gives them somewhere reasonable to shelter from the elements including wind or driving rain, something over the top doesn't necessarily achieve that.

AlisonA said:
As well as just covering shade, I think that buns in exposed runs should have a box or hidey hole, they can feel very insecure if they don't have a bolt hole, especially if they are out for a long time or unsupervised. It also gives them somewhere reasonable to shelter from the elements including wind or driving rain, something over the top doesn't necessarily achieve that.
Yeah mine have a tunnel and a hooded cat litter tray
which 2 rabbits easly fit in

Only you know what's best for your buns, if you're confident with it all, go for it. I can't leave my hutches open when I'm out they'll be under next door lol.

As long as the run is totally secure they would be much happier in the runs!

As someone said, as long has they have somewhere to hide they will be fine and the run will need to have mesh at the bottom as a fox could tip the run over.

Back