• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

GPs again!! - Suitable hutch (indoors)

Amethyst

Warren Veteran
Hi everyone,

I went to our local pet shop yesterday and saw a fabulous hutch, designed clearly for outdoors but I thought it would look so much nicer than an indoor cage. It was 48"L X 19"D X 33"H, and was two-storey (hutch on top with sleeping compartment, and a run underneath) with a felted ramp leading from one floor to the other (it was gently sloping too). It looked really solidly built and would fit in with our furniture quite well! The run section had no floor, but we were thinking of getting a piece of wood cut to size and standing the run on top of it. That way we can still use it as an outdoor hutch/run combo outside too.

The thing was, it was £89.99. Is this good value? Or does anyone know of a place I can get something the same or similar for less?

Thanks for your help! :)

AMETHYST

Have you thought about making your own? I have a pen for my piggies with a big seed tray on the bottom, with grids (which I got mail order from Robert May, but I'm told are now available in Argos) around it. It cost a lot less, and gives them much more space. :)

Personally I wouldn't use wood indoors - it can get a bit smelly!

If you do use wood, paint it with bitumen paint to keep it waterproof, easier to clean and stopping the smell as the pee doesn't soak into the wood.
Why don't you try ebay for something cheaper?

I've been looking to get a new home for Bob and his new girly when she arrives in a couple of weeks, but have been unsure what to get. Have been looking at dog crates in which I'd build a second level, but I was wondering if any companies make the more traditional looking hutches out of anything other than wood?

Back