• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Went to Check Local P@H This Morning......

Jack's-Jane

Wise Old Thumper
.......as am trying to keep on friendly terms with the manager in the hope that some of the things I mention MIGHT be taken on board.
Well, apparently there was a managers meeting last week(subsequent to KateCo's one) and the 'not having piggies and bunnies in the same enclosures' was discussed. The manager said that as yet this is NOT gonna be company policy and they are thinking of just advising customers who want a bunny and a piggie to buy the same sex. This apparently solves the problem :shock: :roll:

*Jane took DEEP breath*..... :x :x

I pointed out how in their care leaflet they already advise against housing ADULT buns and pigs together. Manager said 'Yes but people are going to do it anyway so at least if the animals are the same sex they wont keep trying to mount each other'....

Oh thats OK then, never mind about different dietry needs, risk of Bordetella Bronchiseptica being passed from bun to pig and killing pig!! Or just an accidental crush injury to the piggie....... :x :x

Oh dear, I guess Rome wasn't built in a day............ :roll: :roll:

Janex

:( they still have the buns and piggies together in peterborough. The piggies always look nervous and huddle together. They are very skittish too. I sneaked in P@H ( even though I'm banned from there because of my " trouble making," :oops: ) All the enclosers looked clean, there was not the overcrowding as I've seen before, and no dead ones like last time :shock: there were some improvments, but I still don't buy anything from there, or any petshop which sells animals.
We can only hope all the small changes will add up and get the ball rolling in the right direction for the animals.

[quote="Jack's-Jane]Well, apparently there was a managers meeting last week(subsequent to KateCo's one) and the 'not having piggies and bunnies in the same enclosures' was discussed. The manager said that as yet this is NOT gonna be company policy and they are thinking of just advising customers who want a bunny and a piggie to buy the same sex. This apparently solves the problem :shock: :roll:
Janex[/quote]

Well, we didn't think it would happen overnight, sigh. When I discussed it with them, they seemed to think it would cost them too much money. Apparently it costs £10,000 to refit each store. However, they are refitting a lot of the stores anyway so I personally don't see it being too much of a big problem. Plus I don't see why they can't just get a pen divider off the shelf and do it that way.
Anyhow.... Thanks for this Jane, I'll get back onto them. (and do stay on good terms with the manager, it's the only way that we'll get this sort of info!)
Kate.

I went into ours today for the first time in a while, to see what was there... Buns and pigs kept together and quite a few of each in each pen :roll: I hung around a bit and tried to get a good look and couldn't spot any obviously poorly animals, which I suppose is okay :roll:

i do not understand why they cant just seperate them. The one in raynes park has quite alot of pens...they could easily seperate them! seems sooo stupid!

Jack's-Jane said:
at least if the animals are the same sex they wont keep trying to mount each other'....
That's not true anyway is it? An (especially unneutered) bun of either sex is going to hump piggies out of dominance, regardless of what sex the buns and piggies are, aren't they??

I had two female bunnies years ago that although were housed in separate hutches they came in the house together. One of them used to mount the other all the time. If she had tried it with a piggy then I'm sure the piggy would have been squashed!

I contacted the Chief Exec of P@H this weekend about this. He tells me that they definitely have plans to seperate guineas and rabbits. All the new stores will be fitted so it can happen and they're currently looking at ways of retrospectively fitting the old stores so it can happen there too. I guess it's a slow process but at least they're going to do it. Pehaps the information hasn't filtered down as far as the store managers yet. (Hopefully now I've contacted the CE, it will!!!!)
Jane, keep me informed on what happens, won't you?
Kate.

Back