• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

snuffles conundrum

smallbrownfrog

Warren Scout
here's the problem:

i have to go away during the week to yorkshire sun - fri every week for the next month. steve needs another course of antibiotics. my partner only succeeds in upsetting steve whilst trying to administer the stuff, and can only do it ones a day, instead of the proper twice...so my options are...

:? take him with me to yorkshire. he is sensitive ant the journey not to mention the new surroundings and being separated from the other 2 rabbits will, most likely cause him distress. he always looses appetite when this happens, and he can ill afford to loose any weight.

:? put him into a shelter where they can administer the drugs, tho this carries much the same problems.

:? or get someone to come round to do it. there's a company called pals4pets, has anyone used this service? this would mean entrusting someone who might not even like rabbits to do a twice daily visit and carry out my instructions!!!

what should i do!!!??? i cannot take much more time off. i am freelance, if i took 2 weeks off this job to complete the course on antibiotics i would loose my livelihood.

i will ring them, i just wondered if anyone has experience of this kind of service.

i'm in the south west of london, raynes park.

Do you drive up?
you could leave him with me and the buns during the week because Readings really close to London.
Although you may not want a complete stranger doing it.
offer is always there :wink:

What antibiotic is he on and how much do you have to give? I have much success at mixing the antibiotic with a little porridge and water (ok for snuffles buns as they tend to lose a bit of weight when they are snuffly). They seem to really like the porridge so it becomes something they look forward to instead of becoming an issue. Might be worth a try?

thankyou for your offers and suggestions, but i am afraid non af them would help!! i do not drive, and re-location of just steve would stress the lil guy out. he is very susseptable to digestionn problems if he is upset at all. and he lives with his bast mate in the world, Al, and his source of protection and security, Bernie. they get upset if they are separated, so the poridge idea i don't think would work.... although... thinking about it, maybe i could put him in a hutch inside the shed... so they are not totally separated..., ah, that could be an idea.

i have a spare indoor cage. small, but possiblly a solution.

thank you AlisonA... do you think it would work with baytryl (cant remember how that's spelt).

Should do - I've done it with baytril before now, depends on the size of bunny and dose, as you can't give too many oats as they are quite starchy and don't want to clog bun up! I give my nethie about a level teaspoonful. I'd try getting a few oats and soaking them in the dose of baytril - and if the oats need a bit more to make them expand, then add a bit of water. Or you can use something like a small piece of apple scored with a knife, or a piece of broccoli. It's usually not a huge amount and will soak into something like that nicely, then it's just a case of making sure that particular bunny eats it!

thanks alison i will try that, that might have just solved the problem. it's twice daily doses of .8ml. do you think it would be alright to pre prapare the doses a couple of days in advance?

thank you to snowflakes mother for your most generous consideration. i don't know what i would have done over the years without the support the people on this site give.

8) :)

Back