• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Post spay advice needed pleeeeease!

peediepixie

Mama Doe
Hi all. Elsa had her spay today and came home fine. i have mixed up the scahet of Science Recovery they gave me. I am trying to give it to her little and often but she's not interested. I can get it in her mouth but most of it just dribbles out again and now she's all dirty under her chin, around her mouth and her paws a little bit too.
What do I do? I'll keep trying her with it but she's just getting so messy and she's not well enough to clean herself yet :(
Any advice??
I've never had a bunny spayed before so bear with me if that is totally normal :oops:

After both my girls were done they werent interested til the next day. I left some straw in front of them and they sniffed at that occasion and nibbled.

I know it always seems really bad after they come home but they perk up in no time!

At this stage it's not unusual for them to not want to eat - especially if the op was done this afternoon. Personally I wouldn't try and force any food down her today, it is likely to stress her out and that could be counter-productive. I'd leave her warm and quiet (is she indoors?) with a BOWL of water as well as a bottle, and surrounded by lots of tasty things to munch on. She should pick up during the evening and morning, especially if she drinks lots, as the drink will help to flush out the anaesthetic. If she isn't eating/pooping by tomorrow afternoon she needs to go back to the vet for some gut stimulant and more painkiller. It's only 9pm on the same day so no need to panic just yet, it's quite normal for her to be like this, although she should be starting to munch by the morning.

Dont worry if she is not interested in food yet. Offer her a bowl of water and put some of the Veg she likes within her reach plus a bit of hay. Let her rest, keep her warm and only start thinking of syringe feeds if she has not touched anything and has not pooped by tomorrow morning.
It may not even be 12 hours since her GA yet so she will still feel rubbishy and just want to sleep.
She should have perked up by the early hours of tomorrow and will hopefully have pooped and wee'd too. Being nice and warm will help her recover from the GA.
Try not to worry. Easier said than done, I know!!
Janex

Thank you for the advice!!! I'll maybe just leave her for now then... She's really tired, sleeping in her wee box. I do have her inside and I have Eddie with her who is being a totaly angel, he runs to her side everytime I go in to look after her, aw :D
I've got a bowl in as this is what they usually have their water from in their hutch. I've got some food in too and a bunch of parsely which I keep dropping bits of in front of her. Sweetheart.
Does it matter about the mess the recovery mix has made on her?? Should I give her some more tomorrow? :?
Sorry :lol:

I wouldn't worry about the recovery mess for now, just let her rest. Also you'll probably find that you won't need to give her any recovery tomorrow as chances are she will be munching by herself in the morning. Don't worry about that for now, just wait and see how she is in the morning.

I'm sure she'll be scoffing away in the morning by herself. Mine definitely liked having a bowl of water while they were recovering.

Thank you! I've posted a pic of the 'Recovery Set Up' in Photos and Stories...
I've seperated Eddie so i can be sure what Elsa is eating etc.

Thank you for the help, its really much appreciated :D I'll keep you updated :D

I ditto Alison comment. The truth is, you don't need the sc. recovery pack. When my bunny done her spay, there is almost nothing of food for the first day. And just very little on the 2nd day. And it slowly move up from there.

MY vet said to let her eat treats, or anything she is willing to eat, green etc.

But you have to make sure she doesn't touch the wound, and the sewing better be internally stitched, if she licks it, it can cause an infection. She also can't jump around as it stretched the injured wound.

If you notice her lick her wound, there is a spray you can buy at the vet, it is bad smell and it is meant to spray on the wound, so she won't get near it.

Thank you! I checked her wound yesterday and I think the stiches must be internal as I couldn't see them :oops: Not much of a novice am i? :lol:
She's not eaten much overnight.. maybe a tiny bit of hay but i'm not sure if she has eaten it or spread it out :lol: She has done a wee but nothing else yet. She's not eaten the parsely I put in for her but I've just been in with a bit of carrot. I'll keep trying her with various things. Dandylion leaves are my next weapon! :lol:

I was so panicked that she didnt eat straight away... Even though I know she wouldnt .... but she ate a chocolate drop when I went to pick her up at the vets and then nothing for nearly 2 days!
I was doing everything syringe feeding her pineapple juice and vegie baby food... lol.... but you wonder if they ever get better... give it a couple of days and they get there....
by the end of the week... mine was getting through 5/6 small bowls of veggie a day... but I stopped that once I knew she was recovered! lol :lol:

If she still hasn't eaten/pooped by this afternoon, I'd suggest booking her into the vets for some more painkiller and some metaclopromide to get her gut going, although she may well start eating after that, I think it's far easier to catch it early rather than risk her going into stasis :wink:

I had to hold a spoon of water to Ambers mouth to get her to drink. After she'd had a drink she perked up a bit and ate a couple of dandelion leaves :D

AlisonA said:
If she still hasn't eaten/pooped by this afternoon, I'd suggest booking her into the vets for some more painkiller and some metaclopromide to get her gut going, :

But why would her gut NOT be going in the first place? I agree w/ the painkiller, if it is absolutely necessary, as the painkiller effect wears out sometime after the surgery.

But her stomach is quite empty because she won't eat, she won't eat because even for a human, after a major surgery like that, you don't go back to eating right away.

So hardly much food for the first 24 hr. is normal. Just a little bit of food on the next 24 hr. is also normal.

=====================

peediepixie, remember 24 hr. is counted from the hour after she wake up from the surgery, not from the start time of the surgery. As there is a few hr. gap.

I don't really understand what you're saying?? Sadly it's a fact that if a rabbit's gut stops, it's a life threatening condition, unlike a similar scenario in a human. Humans are starved before surgery, rabbits aren't, so their gut isn't empty, and stress and/or pain can cause a rabbit to go into stasis very quickly and it's potentially very serious - hence it's far easier to nip it in the bud if there is no sign of eating/pooping 24 hours after surgery.

I have had first hand experience of gut stasis in 2 bunnies over the last 2 weeks. It was scary how quickly they could go from absolutely normal to their stomach completely stopping and them being quite seriously ill. It's a case for immediate intervention from a vet.

Seem to be absolutely fine! Hooray!! :) Will bring your crate back soon. Do you mind if it isn't today? Am not feeling too good. :(

Back