• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How to tell a rabbit's age.

Spacegirl

Mama Doe
Is there a way? The freead bunny I picked up this week was a stray so she has no history. I was just wondering if there is any way of guessing how old she is?

As the others said, it is not really possible. However, looking at the state of the coat and general appearance, it is often possible to say whether it is a young rabbit or an older one. Although once they get to about 3 or 4, it is difficult. My 7-year old rabbits could easily be estimated to be about 3 or 4... :) That really doesn't give you a lot more information either, does it... :lol:

Clues can be detected from changes in the vertebrae (backbone) and thickness/toughness of the ears.
Rabbits claws dont project beyond the fur til bun is mature.
Janex

I've been saying Hann's about 18 months old, but to be truthful thats just a guess!

He was obviously fully grown when I got him but in very good condition- vibrant and 'young looking' if you know what I mean so I estimated his age. Who knows what he's been through in his life though- I don't know his background, perhaps he's actually 3 or 4.

My bun Loki is just a year old and look slike an old bun, mainly because he's always getting himself dirty/wet and looks scraggly no matter how often I brush him.

Back