• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hutch bedding

SOAD

Wise Old Thumper
Am I the only person that rams my hutches full of hay? and stuff on the floor, in their downstairs toy area I fill it all with saw dust. I notice from a few pictures that people leave their hutches bare with a litter tray in them?

I stuff mine with hay too! :thumb:

On a base of newspaper, and then they have their litter tray with sawdust in. They do tend to rip up the paper though :shock: .

Be interested to read what other people use.

I do like putting loads of hay in though, as they like to dig it, eat it, bury themselves in it, snuggle down in it etc. I have thought about using towels/fleece but reckon it will just get rearranged all the time with my naughty bunnies. :lol: :lol:

No I do exactly the same as you. I had to rescues come in to me in April and the fella brought them in their hutches and he said he had stopped putting hay in them now as it had got warmer :roll: :roll: . Just as well they came into rescue.

:lol: :lol: Yeah I know people who don't, it just doesn't look cosy all hard wood about.

I do that with my piggies :)
my rabbits are in puppy pens they get hay every day but i cant fill the whole area id need a bale :lol:

:lol: :lol: I get through a bail a week, God knows what they think of me at the farm they always ask about my horses and I have to say erm no I've got rabbits :lol:

SOAD said:
:lol: :lol: I get through a bail a week, God knows what they think of me at the farm they always ask about my horses and I have to say erm no I've got rabbits :lol:
A bale lasts me 3 weeks :)

Ours are in a pen so we can't fill the whole thing with hay either! They get plenty of it tho and have a little cat house to snugle up in instead

Various074.jpg

bluebunny said:
SOAD said:

Yeah about the same as me, I only use more because I've 15 :shock: :lol:

I stuff the bed section with hay, and put newspaper under neath, then the open part of the hutch just has newspaper in. She now has permenant acces (except at night) to a run which is on concretet but i brought a bargain turf for £1.50, reduced from B&Q, its lasted over a week and still looks fine and she loves it! :D My best bargain yet :lol:

I line the hutch with newspaper and cover it with loads of hay too. The litter trays are lined with newspaper with wood shavings on top with a bit of hay for them to munch on!! It looks so uncomfortable for them just to have paper!
Jane

I have the sleeping compartment full of hay.

Upstairs of their hutch newspaper and a bit of hay and food bowl.

Bottom half of hay with newspaper and two carpeted mats.

Permanant attached run attached toys two big litter trays full of hay...so the bottom half of their hutch is generally clear. they usually spread out on that bit and sleep out of the sun (when we get any!)

I have lino all over the floor, the the bed compartment is layered with woodshavings, then straw, then loads of hay which I top up everyday. The 'play' part has straw and hay, I top up that hay every second day. :D The bit where they just come in the door is bare though, thats where their food and water bowls go. Also, it stops and bits blowing into their bowls :lol:

Rory's 'dark' bit is full of straw and hay, and there is some in the other bit but it's fairly bare apart from the corner litter tray up one end. Mostly because when I did fill it all up nice and cosy, he had a tantrum and ripped the paper and pushed it all out the way to sit on the bare wood. I eventually got the hint :lol:

SOAD said:
bluebunny said:
SOAD said:

Yeah about the same as me, I only use more because I've 15 :shock: :lol:

I'm about a bale & a half a week for my 12. Buns are sectioned off in house, & areas they are in get swept out at least every other day, so there's a lot of wastage. They've all got litter trays filled with shavings. Any hutches in their areas are filled with shavings & hay. Dog crates have thick cardboard stuff down, then shavings, then hay!! (Buns are about 6inch higher than they should be!!) :lol: I've used vinyl too, but it gets eaten :?

I put litter trays in the hutches and with megazorb, straw and then hay. They only do their 'business' in one of them, but it makes the hutches much easier to clean out.

My hutch has 2 tiers, the top is filled with toys, the sleeping compartment is stuffed with straw and downstairs has one of those cardboard thingys with straw in, the litter tray is lined with newspaper and has sawdust in (it's the only thing Crunchie will pee on :? ) and the rest has got lots of hay :D

the bedroom is full of hay and safe bedding... but thats just for comfort lol and the main part has newspaper and woodchips but... she has a towel to which she sleeps on or I change it to fleece in the winter :oops: I dont like her getting cold lol!

Back