• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Elsa is getting spayed/ UD- back at vets again :(

peediepixie

Mama Doe
Wish her well please and lots of healing wishes to help her along :) I'll be distraught til I get her back safe.
I have set up the spare roon with a pen with 2 boxes in, one with a travel baby changing mat with some shredded paper covered by a towel for her to sleep in. The other box is smaller and full of hay. The floor is covered in newspaper. Does this sound ok, have I missed anything? The heater isn't on in that room, should I put it on for her tomorrow morning to warm the room for when she gets back? She is an outdoor bun usually.
Also, some people advise me to have Eddie in with her and some say to leave him out... opinions please!! :)
Oh, some 'calming vibes' for me wouldn't go amiss too!

Hi.. Sounds like she will be well pampered while she recovers :D not sure about having a box of hay tho as her wound will be on her tummy so dont want to get hay poking at it. Could you put it in a hay rack or in a tube so that it cant irritate her wound? The other box sounds lovely. Im not sure about her boyfriend... is he neutered? does he mount her at all? If he is likely to mount her probably best to keep separate.. is there anyway he can be in the same room but separated at all so they can still see and smell each other? I really dont know what to suggest for him as mine werent bonded when my girlie was spayed.
Good luck Elsie!

Yes move the hay. When Lavender was spayed she too is an outdoor bun I kept her in the spare room in an indoor cage just with thick newspaper on the bottom. The cage was quite small but I wanted her to have cage rest. She stayed indoors for for a week but everyday I would put her cage in the boys run so they could see/sniff each other. I had no problems when I re introduced them (the boys were about 4 months old I think. it was before their castrations which I had done as soon as their bits dropped, which I think is usually about 6 months). I think she will be OK without the heating on.

Is there anyway the other bun could live along side her?
If the bun is likely to mount her I think you are looking at keeping them seperate for about 6 weeks until she's healed internally. It's quite a big op for girl buns.

Make sure you have her favourite food to tempt her with on her return. Lavender had to go back to the vets the following day for a gut stimulant and I also asked for an extra pain killing injection. After that she did just fine.

Best wishes, keep us posted.

Rabswood

Thanks for your replies. Eddie is neutered and has never mounted her at all that I've seen. He's really good to her, doesn't harrass her at all. I'll take the hay and put it in a tube instead. I wasn't sure about that right enough... I'll see how she's getting on after the op and decide what to do with him then.
Thanks again. :)
Oh, I'm a wreck now! She's so nervous a it is and to leave her there by herself, aawwwwwww :(

Aww, I'm sure she'll be fine. It always seems to be us bunny mummies worry ourselves to bits and they wonder why! :lol:

Let us know how she is doing when she gets home. It might be worth asking the vets if u can have a sachet of recovery powdered food and some syringes when u collect her, just in case she isnt into eating.
Thinking of u Elsie!

Keep her in a pet carrier until she is fully recovered from the anesthetic that way she won't have room to fall around. Let her have tonight alone and maybe try Eddie with her tomorrow. They are lovely rabbits and are very tolerant of each other. If she has external stitches check them a couple of times a day as rabbits are well known for taking them out!!

and take it easy, she will recover quickly :D

Lot of Healing vibes on there way :D
I recently had Pepsi spay and it was very scary, she is an out door bun, i put her in my kitchen and wacked the heating up, also i bought a hay rack which i attached to her hutch so it wouldnt iritate her wound, i used a vet bed for he to toilet on, which she hated and ripped to shreds, but it just about lasted the 10 days that i kept her inside. The vet said to onbly keep her in for a few days but i kept her in until she had her stitches out.
You sound like you have everything covered, dont worry she will be fine :)

Well im getting Holly done on Wednesday and am nervous.

I will be keeping alfie with her at the vets and when they come home as apparently they recover alot quicker and she adores him so it is comforting for her.

I'll be keeping them in an inside pen for 2-3 nights and then depending on how she is she will be going back outside!

Good luck..im sure she will be fine x

Thanks everyone!! I've to phone at 2 and see how she is. i'll keep her in the carrier until she's totally alert and then I'll check she's eating etc. When I'm happy she's ok and eating etc I'll put Eddie in with her, I'm totally confident he'll be great with her, they are bestest buddies! :bunny:

Well Elsa's op went really well :D . She is home now and in her carrier in the spare room (heater is on). They gave me a sachet of Science Recovery and a syringe to give to her tonight. :)
I am going to take Eddie in later on when she is a bit more with it as I think she'll be happier with him, they are so close :love:
I'll go and get her some water and a wee bowl of food to tempt her, been shopping for some scrummy paresly, mmmmmm! :lol:

Back