• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Foster bun has had babies

bunnygran

Warren Scout
You remember the babies dumped in the cemetery who bunnymadhouse posted about. I have taken Penny, the really scared, thin little bunny to foster. She was coming on quite well but tonight when I got home she has had babies.

Bunnymadhouse (Angie) is on holiday and I've never had a bunny who has had babies before so I am not too sure what to do. I have been advised to try and check the nest, but to rub my hands in the litter tray first. The trouble is that Penny is still very nervous and won't come out of her cage and if we try to pick her up she is terrified. Would it be OK just to leave her bunnies and not check them. She has covered them over with the shredded paper from the bottom of her cage.

I am also unsure whether it will be OK to clean her out. She doesn't as yet have a litter tray but I could possibly just clean out the end of the cage away from the babies nest.

I would welcome any advice please :)

Hiya! I'm no expert at all, but I don't think there is an awful lot you can do to 'help' her so as she is so nervous, it's probably best to just let her get on with it. They only feed the kits once a day, usually at night, so don't fret too much if you don't see her paying the kits much attention. I'd just make sure she has constant food supply (especially as she was already underweight) and keep her quiet and as undisturbed as possible. Poor little mite, going through so much :cry: It's great though that she is safe now :D

I wouldnt touch the nest for a few days as Mum is still so nervous. If you can clean her dirty area then all the better. If you can distract Mum in a few days you will be able to check the nest. In my opinion better to wait as Mum may harm the kits if she feels distressed.
She needs to have as much food as she wants and if you have already been feeding her greens then keep this up as they help the milk production. Is she on a higher protein feed as she is underweight? Perhaps something for nursing Mums could be added a little to each feedtime.
I also think Readigrass is a good supplement as it is higher in protein than other hays.
Only my opinion but I hope it helps

Santa said:
They only feed the kits once a day, usually at night :D

Domestics tend to feed twice a day :D Morning and night and sometime during the day as well

I've watched my foster mum feed several time since her kits have been born- its an amazing site, very humbling :)

Thanks to everyone for their help. This morning things seem OK. Penny is eating and drinking for England and the mound of papers in the corner is moving up and down, so hopefully the babies are OK.

I haven't touched the nest yet but will try to part the papers perhaps tonight to see if things are OK.

I got up to check if she was OK in the night and the mound of paper was moving and I thought I could hear a squeaking noise? Does that happen or was I imagining it?

I'm very excited about the babies and can't wait to see them. Its my day off tomorrow so I might see her feeding them if I'm patient, I hope so.

Ace! That's so cute :D I'd be a wreck if babies arrived. Totally wouldn't know what to do - I'm bad enough if one of my buns is ill!

Hi Bunnygran ,
Maggie has had babies too . Dont know how many yet .
Tracey has spoken to the lady who was looking after them for us and she says she cleaned her outon saturday .
So the babies were born either saturday night or sometime sunday .
Dont know how many ....im dying to look but dont want to disturb her .

does this explain their strange behaviour a bit i wonder?

Penny and her babies are doing fine I think. There are at least 5 babies, its difficult to tell as Penny keeps them covered up most of the time. Penny seems much calmer and will let us stroke her nose and ears, so that is a big step.

Angie - Merlin certainly had been a naughty boy hadn't he? I will put some pictures on when they have got some hair. Penny is looking much better I think, she has put a bit of weight on and her hair has grown a bit.

If you do check on them, take mum out and put her somewhere with her favourite food (carrier box etc) then rub your hands in the litter tray or on mum before checking. The problem is if any die, they will chill the rest so it is important to check whenever you can to remove any dead babies. Make sure you are feeding mum up as she will need the extra food, at least twice her normal amount of pellets/mix and bits and bobs of veg if she's used to it.
They do chirp, they even do it if you hold your hand above the nest as they think it's mum. Domestic buns generally only feed once a day, but it will depend on how mnay are in the litter etc as if mum if uncomfortable with the amount of milk she is carrying, she will feed more often.
Their eyes should start opening at about 10-14 days, then there's no stopping the little monkeys!

Back