• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hamsters in same room as rabbits - ?

bunny-mad

Mama Doe
Hi, am thinking very tentatively of getting a group of hamsters (either Russian Dwarf or Roborovski). Does anyone keep their hamster/s in the same room as their rabbits, and do your rabbits mind? As very small they would of course be in a tank with a ventilated lid. However I am worried that the smell of them might upset the little bunnies (that is, Humphrey and Tilly, who seem quite unbothered by most things, apart from Sylvia).

Any advice? thanks

I have all my hamsters, chinchillas, birds, mice and rabbits in the same room and they all seem happy enough in each other's company.

Vera

My hammy Pickle is in the kitchen with Beany (and Radar from tomorrow) and the only time she is bothered by Pickle is when she's in her ball and trying to attack her :lol:

Jeremy the gerbil lives in the bunny room. Only time it's been a problem was when I forgot he was in his ball, & Alex, my New Zealand White started playing chase :shock:

I have 6 roborovski hamsters (and have previously also had a russian hamster) in the same room as 4 of my rabbits. None of them have ever been bothered by the others!

AMETHYST

My living room is my pet room.
I don't have a hammy right now but my last one lived in here with the buns and birds. I was worried about him keeping them awake to begin with but it didn't seem to cause any problems in the end (except the one time when he escaped).

I've got two rats in the same rooms as the rabbit. I put bunny in his cage when its the rat's play time :)

The bunny does seem to stare when they're out though. and the rats look a bit warry.

My "rat in the attic" as she is called (despite being a golden hammy!!) lives there because Jack is scared of her. He does this funny sidewards dance thing when she is near him!!! She once bit him on the nose - I was holding her and he came up to see her and before I knew it he was sat there madly patting his nose with his paws and Poppy hamster was looking very smug!!!

Back