• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

clipping bunny claws

fenchurch

Warren Scout
I'm confused. How often do I need to clip my bunnies' claws? They seemed quite long [I've just trimmed them] but my vet saw one of my bunnies [pre-trim] and I asked her to check his claws and she didn't say they need trimming. She's fairly rabbit savvy.

I've heard 'when they click on tiles', 'occaisonally' :roll: , 10-14 days :shock: , 4-6 weeks.

help!

my bunnies live indoors and the hardest thing they walk on is tiles. Neither of them dig.

I want to trim them as infrequently as possible as my doe is timid and gets very upset.

I tend to clip them when they are longer than the fur on their paws. I am not sure how often, because I don't really take note, I just do it when I see I need to... perhaps every 6 weeks or couple of months? (Indoor bunnies).

Vera

It's not how long the claws are, but how close the quick (blood vessle) is to the end. If it's quite near the end and they look too long, you'll need to snip a tiny bit off frequently to get the quick to receed. If the quick is quite far back, you can take more off less often.
Hope that helps?

raven_guest said:
It's not how long the claws are, but how close the quick (blood vessle) is to the end. If it's quite near the end and they look too long, you'll need to snip a tiny bit off frequently to get the quick to receed. If the quick is quite far back, you can take more off less often.
Hope that helps?
If you can see the quick... that works with white or light coloured nails, but not black ones! :wink:

Earnest has white claws, Audrey black. And of course Audrey is the nervous one!

I'll get a torch and have a look. Luckily shes not squirmy, she sort of freezes with fear :( I hate to think what happened to her before she ended up at the animal shelter. I know she came in with twelve other bunnies who all had to be put down. :( :(

Back