• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

those little teeth

jemma

Young Bun
ok so im new to the bunny ownign as you know.

the bunny that i took home from work (wally) was basically given to me as he bites.

although he has not bitten me as yet - hes a bit funny when i put my hand in his cage and will run at me (clearly looking a bit grumpy)

but hes very friendly and nosey always greeting you at the cage etc, hes stood his ground with the dogs as well (through his run)

im just a bit worried that he might get a bit nasty if i dont get the situation undercontrol, but im also aware that i havent had him long etc and he is unneutred. Will he get better with more handling etc, will i just have to suffer a few bite wounds along the way.

prob a silly post but i just dont want to do anything wrong - hes a lovely little chap and hes been given a bit of a hard time up till now so want to make sure i do everythign right.

Well done for taking the bunny in and giving him a good home! :D He may be aggressive because he has not been handled much and he may need neutering which should calm him down a bit; I think the best thing to do is just to have plenty of patience and spend time getting to know each other!

just reread my post sorry about my spelling lol im watching lost at the same time!!!!!

yeah i know i havent had him long only a few days, and we need to get to know each other, just getting myself in a flap about it i suppose because im new to bunny owning and i dont want to screw it up etc

Salt was quite 'feisty' when he came to me. He was neutered shortly before arriving. He bit me once (and it hurt :shock: ) but I did put my hand in his territory without warning. I always put my hand towards him slowly and wait for him to get used to me. He 's so much better now, with the neutering and a bit fo time being spent getting used to each other. I just sit in the run a lot of the time and let them come to me. He'll happily eat grass out of my hand now and will tolerate nose rubs.
Well done for taking him in. I'm sure you'll be getting on fine soon.

We have a bunny that started off that way, called Rocket. He used to charge at you, ears back, if you put your hand in front of him. He was already neutered so we couldn't solve it with that. Basically we got him a female bunny friend and after several months of being gentle, kind, and loving with him (and with the same from his friend!), he's now a big softie!! He still lunges occasionally, but he's absolutely lovely now and given that he was 3 years old when we got him, he's unlearning a lot of learned behaviour which of course takes time. It's amazing how far he's come in the short time we've had him (since last July), so there's plenty of hope for your little one! Well done for rescuing him! :thumb:

AMETHYST

Back