• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

flooring for dog crate!!! help please

Ryo_the_rat

Warren Scout
so far i have been lining the floors of the bunny cages with newspaper. my Dad used to get plenty of this so it was never a problem, but my Dad passed away 2 months ago :cry: and we have just ran out of papers!

OH's Dad only gets a few papers a week so no good to us, and we get none! so what on earth am i going to use on the bunnies floors from now on?

only one bunny is litter trained(and since being snipped hes got a bit sloppy in that department too :roll: ) but i am willing to try litter training them again. please can someone give me some ideas of what to use? their cages will be getting a full clean out in a day or two so really need help quick! :shock:

hope everyone and everybun is doing ok?

*edited* to add that i also need ideas of what to use for the piggies cage floor!

I bought some self-adhesive lino tiles from Poundland - 2 packs wsa plenty (£2!) - they are wipe-clean and not at all messy, although Beany is pretty much litter trained. Just need to work on Radar now, but at least I can mop it up easily :)

I asked people at work to save their newspapers for me and i ended up with a huge pile :D Maybe you could try that or ask neighbours/relatives/friends to save newspapers for you. I have the same problem with my two.. they do use their trays but also use the floor and newspaper does at least soak it up a bit. I got fed up of washing blankets/vetbed etc everyday cos it was soaking with urine.

is it worth asking your local cornor shop?..do you just chuck the ones they havn't sold by the end of the day or do they get returned to the paper companies? :?
might be worth asking?

s it worth asking your local cornor shop?..do you just chuck the ones they havn't sold by the end of the day or do they get returned to the paper companies? Confused
might be worth asking?

The paper's that aren't sold get returned at the end of the day: that used to be part of my job!

I use the free paper that gets put through the door, & the metro as it's free too...but Jack tends to eat too much of it so at the moment I don't have anything on the floor of his dog crate, I think he prefers it that way. He has a dog basket with lots of hay in it to curl up in, he spends half his time sleeping in there & half his time asleep on the bare floor of the crate :D!.

He is litter trained though, so there's not usually a problem with him messing up the floor of the cage :?, but if he does it's easy to wipe clean.

Is your cage floor metal or plastic?

If your buns don't chew much you could try vetbed for lining the cages, its washable, and may be quite good, (I don't use it though as Jack eats anything & everything, but I had some while he was recovering from his neuter & it seemed alright until he chewed holes in it).

Thanks for all the suggestions guys-sorry its taken me so long to get back to you all!

i actually found 2 big bags of newspapers behind the big box of hay :D so have been ok up until now. however, it is about to run out again and im still not sure what to use!!

there is absolutely no way of us getting anymore newspapers after this. OH's Dad barely gets the paper so we only get a small bag every now and again off him.

the tray is metal-i thought about the idea of covering it with the vinyl tiles, but didnt really see the point considering this still wouldnt absorb anything.

the idea of vet bed is scary as i could see it getting quite expensive and all, apart from one of my bunnies, chew!!

please, if anyone else has any other ideas id be really greatful. remember, this is for guinea pigs too! 2 very messy male piggies! :roll: :lol:

Do you have any friends/family who work in an office? I get given the shredded paper from the office I work in and it lasts ages. Just started using it for the bunnies outside and they love it.

Karly said:
Do you have any friends/family who work in an office? I get given the shredded paper from the office I work in and it lasts ages. Just started using it for the bunnies outside and they love it.

hmmm, my sister actually works in an office so i could ask her the next time i talk to her-thanks! not sure how happy she would be about robbing the offices shredded paper though! :lol: plus, she lives in redditch and i dont get to see her very often :? thanks for the idea though! :D

I have carpet down in mine, just a cut off from when my parents got new carpet. But then if litter training is an issue I guess that's no good. What about an old towel or blanket they can be removed and washed if there are any accidents.

kitschkitty said:
why not join your local freecycle www.freecycle.org you could ask there if anyone locally could collect theirs for you. I guess you could ask your neighbours if you are good/speaking terms with them! :D

im afraid i hate my neighbours with a passion-they have been making the last 18 months of my life hell :evil: so no newspapers from them LOL

so wierd that this has been brought up again because i was going to update! i have been using normal A4 paper on the floor of the bunnies cages now-it isnt as absorbant as newspaper but certainly does the trick!! :D have just been covering half the cage with it so they can lie on the metal in this heat :shock:

Back