• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

vhd jab lump

bunny mad lisa

Mama Doe
hi all
i had all my buns vaccanated against vhd last Tuesday. i have experience side effects in the past such as stiffness and limping and one bunny Siouxsie was very stiff after her jab last week and a few days later a lump appeared where at the jab site. i have heard of this before so didn't worry too much but the lump has got larger so i took her to the vet today and she hadn't seen this before. the vet has given me baytril to give her for 5 days just to be on the safe side, has anyone else experienced this?
Lisa and the buns

Yes, Beany had a lovely big sore patch, but I kept an eye on it and it healed on it's own in no time :) Not nice though...

HI LISA one of mine has a horrible scab at the back of his neck after him 1st one he was fine on his second years one though :D

one of my other buns has a scab too but no swelling! the things we have to put our poor buns through! i really hate having the vhd done! but we have to keep our bunnies safe don't we!

Hope Siouxsie is feeling better soon.
Chandra had her first vhd today so I'll be keeping a close eye on her!

Molly had quite a nasty scab after her myxi jab but was fine after her VHD jab. When her fur grew back it grew back white instead of grey - but at least it did grow back :lol: not like her tummy after her spay which is still baldy :lol:

i have experience side effects in the past such as stiffness and limping and one bunny Siouxsie was very stiff after her jab last week
Honey was dragging her front leg after her VHD injection a few weeks ago & the vet said she would not give it her again, i just wondered if you give your rabbit a VHD injection after the last one effecting your rabbit & if so did it effect your rabbit this time round.
Thanks for your help with this matter. :D

holder said:
Honey was dragging her front leg after her VHD injection a few weeks ago & the vet said she would not give it her again, i just wondered if you give your rabbit a VHD injection after the last one effecting your rabbit & if so did it effect your rabbit this time round.
Thanks for your help with this matter. :D

Hi, My rabbit Blueberry suffered a limp for a few days after her vhd, I did take her to the vet but he said nothing about her not having the vhd again, as it was with her next one she had no side effects.
The vhd jab is it not a nice one but I would def recommend having it - a few side effects and preferable to bun actually getting vhd!!
Hope this helps.

Yes, Magic had two massive lesions on his back after the VHD jabs and it took ages to clear up (the poor little thing had to wear a jumper for a couple of weeks to stop him from chewing at it). The vet should know though as it is a fairly common reaction. In fact I talked about this just yesterday with my vet how some injections/vaccinations can cause such reactions due to the chemicals they put in them.

You might want to try homeopathic thuja which can help to counteract vaccination side effects.

Vera

Back