• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Cystitis

caferyn

Young Bun
Can any one recommend a rabbit mix/pellet food that is low in calcium?

We have a couple of bunnies with re occuring problems and wondered if a change in food would assist.

One bunny has no front teeth so needs to be fed on some form of pelleted/mixed food

Thanks

I have a rabbit that used to have cystitis first every few months, then more and more frequently until it was almost weekly. Medication eventually stopped working too. A low calcium diet didn't work (although it did dissolve the calcium sludge that originally caused the problem).

We found that the only thing that worked and still is working a daily vitamin C supplement (Oxbow do vitamin C tablets which bunnies love). This keeps it in check and Sunny hasn't had any cystitis episodes since taking the tablets (and that's about 4 years now). I did once stop them to see whether he would be ok and the cystitis came back promptly, so he will stay on them for the rest of his life. He is now 6 and in perfect health.

Oh, and he was on Science Selective until recently and is now on Allen & Page in addition to lots of hay (meadow, timothy, dried grass) and veggies.

Vera

camomile tea helps to calm the imflamation that accompanies cystitis.
cranberry juice is also a usefull prevenative. (i assume you could give it to rabbits...i know they add cranberry extract to certain catfoods to help cystitis.. :? )
worth trying?

Back