• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

bad night!

touie

Wise Old Thumper
Having a nightmare with Amy at the moment! I put her to bed last night in her cage then went in the bathroom, when i came out Amy was sitting outside the bathroom door! :shock: I've already barracaded the side walls with bags, then she worked out how to open the front hatch - now barracaded too, and she can get out the roof! Got a heavy book on there now! As well as all the escaping I had to confiscate the hayrack too as it was being flung around the cage in temper and i was worried she might hurt herself with it ( as well as making a horrendous racket!)

I'm not sure what to try next, this is the second rabbit cage she's managed to break out of, do you think a puppy crate would be more escape proof? I want to keep her in a cage at night so I know that she's safe and sound and not getting up to any mischief :?

If she's determined on getting out, be careful with a dog crate. Mine has larger spaces in the bars at the bottom and when I first had it, Beany managed to get her head stuck when she panicked and tried to get out :shock: :shock: I blocked it all round with cardboard cable-tied to the cage, but, of course, she's chewed it all away...

:shock: she was having such a tantrum last night she's actually bent the bars on the roof :shock: Im not sure what would be the best solution, how about an indoor hutch? :?

Is there no way you can have her confined to a corner of a room at night? You could get some of those wire pannels that people use in the garden for runs. Or build a frame with chicken wire??Or just bunny proof a room and leave her in there?

I had the same problem with Jack and he is happy to be confined in the dining room and doesn't get up to anything at night other than pottering about and annoying Milly!!

He too kept escaping and throwing things round his puppy crate in fustration (he escaped from the puppy crate several times by the way!).

Good luck - bunnies are VERY determined when it comes to being free range!

My two don't have a cage or hutch, they just have a section of the room that's enclosed with pen panels. That way, they don't feel so "enclosed"? may help?

has larger spaces in the bars at the bottom and when I first had it, Beany managed to get her head stuck when she panicked and tried to get out
If the crate is turned upside down, this problem is solved! :D That's what I do with mine.

Vera

I can't section off a room as i have a tiny house there's hardly any room for me as it is. I can't leave her freerange as my house is comprised of lounge and kitchen, the stairs are off the lounge so she'll scratch at the bedroom doors, and if shut in the kitchen she chews the doors and its a rented house :( Might look at a flat topped hutch then it can double as a coffee table :D

it must be a frenchie thing :roll: Storm throws things around in temper and he's a free range bunster :? he managed to smash is food bowl by kicking it :shock: and he just loves to throw his litter tray across the room or he digs in the litter tray moving it from one end of the room to the other leaving a trail of litter :roll: he is very clever and can work out how to solve problems too :D good luck with finding a solution for your little terror! :D

Back