• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

rehoming baby buns, what age?

bunnylove

Wise Old Thumper
i am wondering what i am gonna do with my curent litter, ie what age i am going to rehome them at! i know a few of the rescues advertise them early as to get that cute baby trade, but i am not so sure and was thinking of rehoming them after 16 weeks when they can be neutered but is this really practical for a rescue??? your thoughts please

Eve x

Although I initially homed some youngsters before they were neutered but only to trusted homes..they have all now been done...
But now I will only home neutered buns and wait til they are old enough to be done. even with a homecheck acccidental litters could happen...so answer is ..wait and get them done! :D

(just noticed what dreadful grammar!...sorry :oops: )

Caroline keeps hold of them until they've been neutered as well, Eve. But then again she does have a bit more space than you!!

AlisonA said:
Caroline keeps hold of them until they've been neutered as well, Eve. But then again she does have a bit more space than you!!

i will make space alsion, haveing the lawn cut back now to make more room for rescues, i just dont like the idea of poeple taking them because they are small and cute they are even out of the nest yet and i have had calls about them! :roll: :roll: :roll:

honeybunny said:
Although I initially homed some youngsters before they were neutered but only to trusted homes..they have all now been done...
But now I will only home neutered buns and wait til they are old enough to be done. even with a homecheck acccidental litters could happen...so answer is ..wait and get them done! :D

(just noticed what dreadful grammar!...sorry :oops: )

Or maybe if all currently -owned buns are already neutered? Then no litters. :D

I know Kirky Pet Welfare now do not rehome until nearly adults and neutered as they get too many people wanting babies.

I think quite a few rescues have the same policy - keep them until their neutered. I guess you could do it so it depends on the home. If they have a neutered male and wanted a female little un for company maybe that may be okay.

I would wait until they're done.
Some people may seem like the ideal home, but once their little bun grows up they may think s/he'll make lovely babies (only one litter before neutering mind!)with next doors bun because s/he's such a nice friendly rabbit... :evil: :(

We do occasionally rehome before neutered but the buns have to come back for neutering at our vets otherwise we take buns back

Back