• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

urgent help mom has died and babies need help

blue

New Kit
Hi all i really need you advice for a friend of mine she took on a rabbit last week who she was told was pregnant my friend was happy to take in the bun sort it out and rehome the baby buns and then keep the mom she already has eight buns so was happy to take a bun in need, the bun went into labour saturday night and gave birth to 7 babies sadly though mom died shortly after giving birth, my friend is desparatly trying to save the babies she is giving them kitten milk and feeding them with a seringe, if anyone out there has any advice that may help we would be very greatful my friend is very aware that they wont make make it but she really wants to try as she feels if she can save one life it will all be worth it, thank you in advance for any help.

when i hand reared some mice ( I know not quite the same) the vet told me to rub their bottoms to stimulate them to poo otherwise they get constapated and can die.

I fed them on watered down kitten milk via tiny syringe every 2-4 hours.they were kept in the airing cupboard.

I would speak to a vet and see what they recommend

Oh dear how sad :cry:
It is important the kits are fed very carefully (the diluted replacement milk for kittens is ok) Its best to use a giver set rather than a syringe as aspiration pneumonia is a risk if the milk is squirted into the kits mouth from the syringe and it accidently goes into the lungs.
As the milk wont contain an essential ingredient found in Mums milk to protect the kits from gut bacterial inbalance it is essential all equipment used for feeding is sterilised and water used to dilute the milk is pre-boiled. Each feed should be made up as needed and not stored for later use.
The Kits will need to be stimulated to poo and wee. This can be done by massaging around their 'bits'. They will need feeding 2-3 times a day and an estimate of 2-30ml each feed. It is better to UNDERFEED than overfeed.
I got most of this info from Frances Harcourt-Browns Book 'Textbook of Rabbit Medicine'
The outlook for the Kits is not that hopefully but at least your friend can try.
Janex

Just warn her that the success rate isn't great for hand rearing rabbits, she needs to realise this so that she won't balme herself if any die. She's doing the best she can but unfortunately it's a very low success rate.

i had to rear a litter of 6 kits last year. (from 3 weeks of age) feeding average 3-4 5ml syringes 4 times daily.
out of the 6 two survived.....until they were nearly 5 months....then both passed away, one suddenly over night, the other in spite of everything we and the vets did for him. Apparently because he was hand reared the mothers immunity was not passed along to the kits hence they both had a lowered immune system.
i strongly recomend asking your vet about probiotics (i know these are surpossed to aid the immune system but im not sure from what age you could give them to the kits :? ) or if they could surgest some other immunity surport?

Soft poos have to be added to the mix. This contains good bacteria that kick starts their gut flora.
Do you have a bunny that you could pinch some of their poos?

maxxev is right. syringe feed w/ baby food (no meat contents inside the baby food), pick 4 different favors for 4 meals.

Heat up a cup of hot water.

Use the syringe to suck up the baby food

dump the syringe under the hot water for 2 min.

Now it's nice and warm from the original cold temperature of the fridge

slowly feed 0.5 cc at a time w/ a 5 sec. delay per 0.5 cc, remember if you go too fast, the food ends up in their lungs and can cause bacteria infection

Oh...if they can't drink water on their own, do the above w/ cool water

just to let you all know that the babies are doing well, my friend had rescued another bunny a few months ago who was also pregnant and her litter are now 7 weeks old so she managed to put these babies in with that mom and she is now looking after them althought my friend is doing the feeding the foster mom has taken them in and seems to be doing every thing else for them she has also become quite defensive of them the vet has also recommend some suppliments so she has got to go and get them so we are hoping that they may have a chance, i will keep you all posted on how they are doing and i hope it will be good news.
thanks again for all you advice.

Oh I'm so glad to hear they're doing much better now! :thumb: Please please do keep us all updated! :)

AMETHYST

hi all i will start with the bad news first sadly one of the babies passed away last night but the good news is the rest are all doing well (6 in all) they now over a week old and all the rest seem to be doing well we know there is a very long way to go but there is hope every day that passes, and if they keep on doing well i hope to be able to post some pictures so please keep thinking of them and i will keep you updated.

Back