• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

GI Stasis .....a good outcome for a change

MoBunny

Warren Scout
Hi,

One of my bunnies who has a very good diet of SS Hay and is one grass all day suddenly got an attack of this yesterday afternoon.

At first he was just not right and not interested in food and not his normal self. I decided to part him from his girlfriend as evening arrived and bought him in to my bedroom so I could keep an eye on him overnight.

By 5 am when I woke up he was grinding his teeth and slumped in his water bowl and panic set in. I have some Bio Lapis that someone gave me so decided to put a few sachets in his water more than the suggested dose as I was desperate. I made sure he was drinking it as the next move would be to try and suringe it down which is very stressful. I set the alarm for 8.00 as if there was no improvement I would be off to the vets. I got very little sleep though.

By 8.00 he was sitting up bright as a button, I let him out of his cage and poos rained all over the place.

My question is why? What make a bunny that has never had a problem on a good diet all of a sudden have an attack?

I'm so glad I kept a close eye on him as it's difficult to tell who's pooing and eating when their is a pair. By the way he is 4 years old.

Thanks for listening

Maureen

Mine gets depressed :roll: She's a house bun and god forbid if I leave her outside in the large hutch and run with her boyfriend in midsummer all day and night. She stopped eating 3 times in a month until I got it that she didn't want to stay out :roll: She had pleanty of good hay, and veg before bed, but little madam wasn't having any of it.

Not had a problem since.
Unfortuanlly it probably isn't true to your case, so I'm not sure why :/

Miffy had a GI stasis attack the other week and she had to go to the vets for 4 days! :shock: She's a perfectly healthy and happy rabbit of 18 months of age, with a great diet including loads of hay, a moderate amount of pellets, and a handful of healthy veggies every day. She has no reason to be depressed either - she does happy bunny flops all the time so she must be happy! :D I asked my vet what could have caused it, could it have been her diet, and he said that sometimes rabbits' systems seem to simply shut down with no obvious explanation.

Glad to hear he seems fine now! It's scary when it happens, isn't it?

AMETHYST

Its happened to me as well, my Harley is a happy healthy almost 2 year old

She'd never had any trouble but one day she just stopped, when she'd recovered I put it down to the guinea pig food she accidentally got a nibble of.

The second time it happened, she was poorly on and off for about a week, she had eaten some silicone sealant used on her hutch- where I thought she couldn't get it :roll: :oops:

Hi,

The only thing I could think of is that he had a bad fright in the night as for once I didn't cover the hutch at night as the weather is getting warmer.

Perhaps a fox could have jumped up against the wire part, they are very secure so the fox could not get to them. I have now put the top of an old run in front of the wire part so it looks more secure to the bunnies.

He is fine now back to his normal self, bye the way he is called Buttons.

I'm so glad I was around and could act quickly.

Maureen

Maybe Button's did get a fright, sometime thats enough to make them stop eating :roll:

Such sensitive creatures we own :lol:

Back