• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

nt sounding a good idea???

karina

Young Bun
hey all just been reading the topics in here i have a doe and was thinking of having her done.bt lately she has been good as gold with me bt still nt letting ppl near me when i have her,bt from wot i have been reading all ppl that have does are having problems??? i lost my boy when he had his bits off and ive lost the trust with the vets.she is my other baby.and i couldnt bare to lose her.bt then theres a chance she lives less longer if i dont get her done i cant make my mind up and how much is it to get a bunny of her size done?????? :? :?

I'd say go to several vets and ask loads of questions about how many rabbits they've spayed, what their success rate is etc. Talk to them about your fears and they will be happy to help. If you're not satisfied after that then choose a different vets and keep going till you find a really decent one! I'd say as long as you use a competent and confident bunny-savvy vets then the risk is very low - the risk of uterine cancer is far higher.

AMETHYST

my last doe (continental giant) cost just over £100 to spay....though this did included a (blood?) test to ensure that her kidneys, which she had previously had trouble with would have no probs with the anesthetic used.
i think the prices have gone up a bit since though :?

It's £90 to get a doe done around here, I don't know if they'll charge extra to do a conti. I'd say get her done, you'll have her longer and a better quality of life with her, but as everyone has said, get someone you know who has had it done to recommend you a good vet.

I have three girls and none of them are aggressive at all! Two of them are done and their character did not change at all after neutering... but then they were friendly in the first place anyway.

I can say though that I have had two giants neutered, but they were boys. They had no problems at all. One of them also had an operation at 8 weeks old to stitch his nose back together after he got bitten by one of the other rabbits. He had no problem at all even at that young an age.
The other one had regular dentals, again, no problem with anaesthetics.

I would definitely get it done, it takes the worry about uterine cancer away.

Do make sure though that your vet is used to neutering female rabbits.

Vera

thanks all.gonna shop around my vets are good she said she has done over 8 years doing bunnies both sexs.and only 3 had died.my bob was the 3rd bt had heart problems.bt am gonna have to get her done coz of the cancer rate. will let u all know wot i do gota have my baby first!!! :lol: :lol:

maybe you could ask other members on here who are in your area.. there are a few in hampshire.. and see if they can recommend a vet if you arent sure about yours. My doe was spayed, cost me £60, and she was back to her normal self after a few days of rest.
When you do decide to get her done.. please insist they use intradermal stitches cos then they cant bite them off and open their wound. Nala's wound was so neat and healed very quickly with these internal stitches.

Back