• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bobby not eating - u/d he's had his dental, home now

HS

Wise Old Thumper
Hello all

I took Bobby and Ruby for their myxi boosters about 3 weeks ago and the vet checked them over and found Bobby to have the start of molar spurs. He said to keep an eye on it, as they weren't bad enough to do then, but would get worse.
So, I've been just keeping an eye on what he's eating and there's been nothing unusual at all - lots of hay, first one in the veggie bowl etc. He's also had no signs of a wet chin or dirty paws.
Until today...... He ate his breakfast this morning, but has refused to eat anything since about 4pm. I've tried tempting him with grapes, dandelion leaves etc, but nothing. I've had a good feel of his tummy and it feels normal, given him some infacol and probiotic.
He will be going to the vets tomorrow, but is there anything I can be doing for him now? When should I start force feeding the critical care?

Thanks everyone

Hiya.
Has he pooped his normal amount today and are the poops the normal size?
How does he seem in himself? Is he quiet and mis' or his normal self just not wanting to eat?
Janex

Thanks Jane, I knew I could rely on you :)
His poops are the same size as normal and he's pooping ok. He's jsut very quiet and not wanting to eat. He normally loves his hay and grass, but is not bothered at all at the moment.

HS said:
Thanks Jane, I knew I could rely on you :)
His poops are the same size as normal and he's pooping ok. He's jsut very quiet and not wanting to eat. He normally loves his hay and grass, but is not bothered at all at the moment.

Sounds like he may well have a sore mouth.
If he last ate at 4pm then you dont have to fret too much re syringe feeds. If he has not eaten anything by 10-11pm then you could try syringe feeding if it does not stress him out too much.
Is he a podgey bunny? Not eating is more of an issue for Buns carrying excess weight as their liver gets compromised more quickly.
If he ate at 4pm, is pooping OK and is of a healthy weight then he should be OK with just a couple of syringe feeds tonight. Just enough to keep him hydrated. Even if he wont take something like Critical Care he may take water.
Hope once his teeth are sorted he will feel much better
Janex

You could try soaking some pellets in warm water for him so they are soft.

We used to do this for Snoopy when his spurs got bad. :?

Thanks for the replies. I've just been out and given him some of the A&P pellet dust and water. Rung the vets too, and they said to bring him in first thing tomorrow.
I just feel a little helpless at the moment. He's stressed out from all the attention and is hiding in the hutch ( he never goes in there normally :cry: :cry: )
He's a very healthy bunny otherwise - a nice weight and huge poops.

Well if all the attention is stressing him I'd leave him be. He ate at 4pm so is not at risk at the mo'.
I'd provide him with any foodstuff he would normally like. Maybe some extra warmth like a snuggle-safe and let him settle down to his normal routine.
Please keep us updated.
Janex

He's just huddled in his litter tray at the moment, I'm going to puree some of his fave foods in a minute, may be more tempting than brown sludge. I'd like to get a little more liquid in him. Ruby's being a little trooper and keeps grooming him.
thanks for all your help.

Thanks.
I feel so bad, as I know this has been coming, and have ben keeping an eye out for any changes in his eating habits. It seems to have happened so quickly, since this morning.
Poor little boy is now very stressed from us trying to feed him - he's had some food and water from the syringe, so I'm going to leave him to settle.

Morning! Well, Sir Bobby is scoffing greens like there's no tomorrow this morning :roll: However, it is pretty obvious that he does need his teeth doing, so however much he tries to fool me :smile:, I'll still get him booked in today.
Thanks for your help and thoughts.

Bobby Bunny you naughty boy trying to trick your Mum :no:
You made her very worried
Glad you are scoffing your grub again now though :wink:
:D :D

Janex

Ooooh Helen that's good news...phew! Let us know how you get on with Bobby at the vet's won't you? Every time this sort of thing happens I think Oh I won't worry so much next time but you always worry just as much each time but that feeling of relief when everything sort itself out.....well, it's better than finishing exams a thousandfold!!! :wink:

Back