• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Clover - still not too good

SarahP

Wise Old Thumper
Right...... latest is that she is having Maxalon (Maxolon?) twice a day orally, and has not yet lost her appetite. However, I have seen only a very few shrivelled looking poos since this morning. Have syringe fed her some probiotic in water, as I'm concerned she is dehydrating, as well as to get some probiotic into her. She had some spring greens a couple of hours ago.

But, my main question is, do I feed her dried food (which I don't know if she will eat or not), or is it going to just compound the problem (blocking her up)? The other option is that I could wait until her next dose of Maxalon (approx 7 - 8 pm) and feed her then.

I'm really starting to despair on this one..... Am thinking I'm going to have to take a day off as emergency holiday tomorrow, as I can't leave her like this. Having said that, I don't drive, so am not much use in an emergency! :shock: They both have a vets appointment at 6:30 pm to have their stitches out (Clover only has one left!), but if need be she'll have to go in the morning.

Awww poor Clover :cry: Did the vet say from the x-ray that it looked like a blockage, or just that she was full up? Might be worth ringing the emergency vet just for some advice at the moment - I think it's Amy on call and she's usually pretty good with advice. She might even be there and able to look at the x-rays/notes :? I've never had a bun with stasis before so I don't really know how quickly you would expect to see an improvement. Hope she picks up (and poops) very soon.

The vet said it was just food blocking her up. Have just checked and there is one new poo. I guess that is something... Will call the emergency vet if need be. I just hope she doesn't stop eating again (but equally hope that by eating she isn't blocking herself up still more).

Major celebrations after a load of poo arriving here! :lol: Wonder if it was the probiotic we gave her. Will give her some more I think, as she didn't have much.

Whheeeeeeeeww! Sarah I have a minor heart attack every time you post at the moment :lol: Hopefully everything is starting to move along nicely now there's been a major 'outburst'. How is the poo looking? Now where's Jane with her poo chants? Long may the poo continue!

Ahh yes, that's true - it was probably the poo chanting, not the probiotic, that has done something! :lol: Keep on chanting - POO POO WE WANT MORE POO!! :lol:

I'd say try and get FLUIDS into her. Water with the probiotic is great :thumb:
If you can syringe 20ml of fluids in to her every couple of hours plus some gentle tummy rubs it will hopefully shift things along.
As long as there is a bit going in and a bit coming out you are still winning.
If she will eat her dried feed moistened with water that would be great.
Good grief this has to be one for the records re a 'complicated spay'.......!!

Janex

Have decided to take the day off work as holiday and keep an eye on Clover today. She, of course, decided to 'perform' in the litter tray as soon as I'd made the call to work!! :lol: Not sure what work will think about it, but I'd be sitting there worrying all day if I was at work, and I'm trying to feed her little and often at the moment to try to keep things moving along. If I wasn't here I wouldn't be able to do that (apart from the hay she munches on, of course).

They are both due to go to the vets at 6:30 tonight to have what is left of their stitches out (Clover only has one left, if that! :lol: ), but the vet she saw on Saturday called this morning to see how she was. That's so nice - I've never had that from a vet before! :)

Anyway, I'm not exactly sure how things are as she has been having the Maxolon twice a day, with her last dose this morning. It feels like it has been that keeping her gut moving, so I'm wondering what is going to happen now... But, I might just be being paranoid, as she is really full of beans this morning, looking for food constantly and tearing up the newspaper that lines the dog crate! Now that's got to be a good sign - a bored bunny! :lol:

Glad things seem to be moving along nicely now! Fingers crossed that will continue once the maxalon has finished. You could always ask if they will give you some to take home so that you have some on hand if it seems to be necessary - I think it lasts about a fortnight.

Is Dusty doing well? I assume so as you haven't mentioned her!

Hi Alison :) Yes, Dusty seems full of beans (and has developed a habit of grabbing my trousers/pyjamas as I walk past in the kitchen ). :lol: I just hope things are going to be OK now..... They seem to have stopped the aggression with each other through the bars (and have been licking each other's faces like the old days), but we'll have to see when they go back together without the barrier.

Whheewww, hopefully that means that Dusty realises that Clover is regaining her number one spot then!! Licking is a good sign - but I'd still reintroduce them carefully on neutral territory as if you were doing a new introduction, just to be on the safe side. Lots of tasty things to eat should help too!! What do you think are the chances of Clover being Dusty's mum rather than sister do you reckon? I did wonder if she is perhaps older than you've been told hence taking longer to recover??

Hmmm.... I'd never thought of that. I asked the woman I got them from how old they were when I got them (at the end of March) and she said about 18 months. I've assumed that they must have come from a pet shop, and I'd have thought that she'd have realised that one was older than the other, but it is possible. :?

Edit: thinking about it, although she has been affected worse by the stasis, she perked up quicker after the actual op than Dusty.

Back