• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Teeth removal

Azraelm

Wise Old Thumper
Can you remove rabbits back teeth as well as front teeth??
My old vet said no and that it would kill them if attempted but just read something to the contrary.

thanks x

Vets don't like to do this willy nilly, but if it's nessasery then they will.
The removal of teeth wont kill them, it's usually other factors.

Well if it kills them I should have two dead rabbits here!!
Yes, molar teeth can be removed but it is very much an individual decission for each Bun. It is perfectly feasible for a Bun to cope after having molar teeth extracted. You would be best advised to consult with a Vet experienced with rabbit dentistry.
:D :D
Janex

Back teeth can only be removed through the cheek as the mouth does not open far enough to allow them to be extracted the way human molars would be. It there is an abcess present then it can be done while the abcess is cleaned out and will help ensure that all the infection is gone.

:( that would have saved my very first buns life...i was told only inscisors which she did have removed after breaking one and making it loose after her wattle bottle slipped and her teeth got knocked. Her back ones were because she had a dental malocclusion but not the severest apparently but enough to warrant a dental every month nearly!
Thats why she had to be put down shed gone through enough.
I have read too it is possible but the biggest drawback is apart from the risks..the tooth pulled leaves an opposing tooth to keep growing with nothing for it to grind down against.
I wish more vets would offer choices best for buns with this problem..

Travis has had 2 molars removed, this didn't involve going through the cheek, it depends on the bun. he still has to have regular burrs on his molars though and we are discussing with our vet what the next stage will be

thanks everyone. Esmerelda's having her back teeth done under GA tomorrow so will discuss this further with her new vet.
x

Back