• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

English lops

Cute, But yes i think its cruel breeding any animal to look 'different'. Whats wrong with 'standard bunnies'?! :? Xx

Oh my goodness!!! Never seen ears that big before!!! :lol:

I don't know much about them (nothing at all in fact!!!).. has anyone on here got one?! :?

They are gorgeous, but I bet they do have problems with their ears - I would think anyway :?

I always worried about that, I've never seen anyone with a pet one. If they're a breeders and are in a hutch all day, they probably wouldn't have problems unless they were trying to run, you'd have to put a scrunchie on their ears to hold them out of the way! (joke)

I think you have to be more careful there is nothing to catch their ears on and that the floor isn't to rough, I'm guessing you couldn't keep them on a patio.

I don't suppose they have more problems than a angora with it's fur and a netherland dwarf with it's teeth though :?

I know two people on another forum that have pet english lops. I think they're beautiful! One says that hers does trip over his ears sometimes, but they're not too much of an issue. I don't think I'd want them kept outside, because their ears are prone to frostbite.

Having said that, and as much as I think all the different rabbit breeds are neat, I don't like how physical deformities that can impact health get bred purposefully. Dwarfs and their teeth, English Spots and hotots with megacolon and other GI problems (it's supposed to be a color-linked problem), lops with ear infections and prone to mites...

I've read before that when English lops are stressed they chew the ends of their ears. :( Poor things. I don't think people should breed just for looks but for health aswell, after all it's not fair for an animal to be born when the breeder knows that they will probably have health problems in later life.

english lops

I have an english lop girl :) she is the 2nd.. one that i have owned & they are wonderful pets :) I too was worried about their ears but as they run their long ears just fly out behind them :) they ARE beautiful & have wonderful temprements :) they are my fav breed along with cashmeres :) the english lop is a very ole breed which nearly died out due to it becoming unpopular but is now having a revivial yeah :!: :) :roll: :wink:

English Lops are one of the oldest breeds of rabbit in the world.

I must say that I have never heard of them 'ear chewing' and as long as you keep them on a bed of thick straw/hay/shavings and keep their nails trimmed, they have a normal, long and happy life. :D

I think ear chewing is like parrots plucking, it's a boredom/stress thing that not all of them do. They are lovely, I'm quite tempted as someone near me has one she only half wants :( (It is fantastically looked after but her hearts not in it.

naturestee said:
Having said that, and as much as I think all the different rabbit breeds are neat, I don't like how physical deformities that can impact health get bred purposefully.

I agree 100% !

I would like one, they're quite rare really. I don't think they end up in rescue that often.

:love: :love: :love:
i just adore these,they have the most adorable temperaments and of the couple i've had never had any trouble with their ears.
in fact the one i took home from the pet shop i worked in as a kid obviously never let it hinder him. when he went missing,it transpired that he went visiting the neighbours at the back of us daily for food,like he didn't eat me out of house n home anyway and in order to do that had to escape then re-enter our garden via either a 5ft brick wall or round the back of my dads shed up onto another brick wall from a tight space then 100 yds down their garden to the backdoor n never did he sustain an injury as i might have sussed what he was up to!!! thought the garden was bun proof but goes to show what they're capable of in the cause for food.
bun i have now has all the features of an english lop apart from his ears are too short size head shape temperament,everything is there but the ear length which i spose isn't a bad thing.
would love a girlie like him and like tree says they hardly ever come up in rescue,took me ages to get mine!! and i just can't go the breeder route,even if some are well meaning when so many rescues about. whats meant to be will be n my girlie is out there somewhere!!!!

AlisonA said:
naturestee said:
Having said that, and as much as I think all the different rabbit breeds are neat, I don't like how physical deformities that can impact health get bred purposefully.

I agree 100% !

Me too - the whole idea of breeding to get a certain look in animals is totally alien to me, let alone when it affects their health. :(

The worst case of breeding I've heard of is bald guinea pigs and rats etc. Fair enough if people can look after them properly, but most people won't!

I thik the only problem you could face with an English is their ears as Tam said, they can easiely gte caught, as long as you make sure their nails are trim so they don't step on their ears and the surface they are walking on is soft :D

english lops

I do have a few english lops and yes they are a rare breed which many people know little about. There are only about 150 left in the country (maybe up to 200), the breed is slowly being allowed to develop with slightly shorter ears. They have no problem running, jumping, playing or digging massive burrows. The problems lie initially with taking a rabbit from many breeders who do just cage them up and you then let them have exercise it takes a while for them to get strength in their legs as many have been caged up so much. They are wonderful in temperament and so cute. People owning these rabbits need to keep well on top of claw care but otherwise checking the ears regularly along with all the usual checks keeps them healthy. I don't believe its cruel if they can display all their natural instincts. I do however think carrying on developing new breeds of rabbits with long fur and the ever developing mini, dwarf and french lops have more problems relating to teeth and joint that are not able to support the weight. Those english lop X rex are a common thing now as people are trying to develop th velveteen lop which has already been produced but people still keep trying!

Back