• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

poorly bunny....Update

Melndan

Mama Doe
We are in Swanage at the mo, and we went to see Dan's family today and they have a bunny.
Now, in April, the bun had a VERY dirty bum and I told them she must see a vet, which they did and the vet burred her teeth, cleaned her up, and told them to put her on Excel. Although they still give her mix cos she doesn't like excel.

Well, a couple of weeks ago, she told me via IM that the bun had a dirty bum again. I told ger to just give hay and get her to vets. Well, they still havn't taken her!!!!!! (Girl is only 13, but Mum and Dad should sort it)

I had a look at her today and her bottom teeth are so long, over her lip, a top one missing and the other wonky, and I turned her over to look at her bum and was nearly vomiting. It is so swollen, no poop there, but it looks all pussy and a very odd colour. I was trying to look for signs of maggots but couldn't see anything and I did warn them again of fly strike and that she needed to go to vets TODAY!!!!!!!!!!
The daughter cleaned out the hutch today and it was so filthy, and there were flies in it.

I was saying stuff, but I could see in their eyes that they wanted me to shut the hell up and I really don't want to upset Dan's mum or fall out with anyone, but they have neglected this rabbit and I am so bloody upset. We are broke but I have told Dan we will take the bun to vets and stick it on the credit card but I don't think he was too keen on that idea.

Oh what on earth can I do?

Thanks for hearing me out!!!!

Gosh, thats an awful situation to be in, must be hard, I can understand you don't want to upset your OH's family, but this poor bunny has to see a vet, and they need to learn that you just can't treat animals like that.

What is the girls attitute to the bun like?

How awful for you. :( I guess you can do no more than say you'll take the bunny to the vets, which you've done.

I wold imagine so. i told them that the bun needs to have the teeth done regularly and they looked a bit horrified.

Do they want to keep the Bun?
If no and some-one can get her to me, or some-where near me (my car is very unreliable so cant venture too far) I will take her and get her sorted out with our lovely Vet.
I think I would be inclined to think sod offending anyone and help the bunny.
Janex

I would take her myself Jane but the daughter really does love the bunny and she listens to me, but if her parents can,t/ won't get her to vets.......................................

oh how did you contain yourself...I would have been spitting.....I say just bite the bullet and tell them the truth, sure it may hurt, but surely Dan understands :?

tupperwarequeen said:
oh how did you contain yourself...I would have been spitting.....I say just bite the bullet and tell them the truth, sure it may hurt, but surely Dan understands :?

I agree. Dan will understand that you are just looking after the welfare of the Bun. And if the little girl really loves the Bun too then you are also looking after HER.
Janex

Dan doesn't really say alot to be honest. He leaves me to fight battles. I hope they realised the seriousness of the situation and took her to vets this afternoon.

Melndan said:
Dan doesn't really say alot to be honest. He leaves me to fight battles. I hope they realised the seriousness of the situation and took her to vets this afternoon.

Yes, lets hope so.
I guess the young girl is computer literate?
Perhaps you could point her in the direction of RU?
Then maybe she can educate her parents..... :roll: :roll:

Janex

Yes she is Jane. I did tell her I would give her the forum addy earlier, although better not now this thread is on.

Do you think it is the teeth that are causing the main problem? The bottom was clean (although hasn't been) but was very swollen and very smelly. It looked to be a bit pussy too. I also noticed that the fur under and above the tail had gone.
i am very surprised at the vet they went to, to be honest tho. They should have been told to go back again for the teeth to be looked at surely as it has grown again. Does make me cross tho cos I mentioned last week that she should check the buns teeth cos that could be the problem.

Sadly if poor bun already has infection around her 'bits' it is only going to get worse without ongoing treatment :(
Poor Bun, it must be so sore :(
If she has dental problems then she may not be able to clean herself or eat her caecotrophs. She is at a really high risk of Flystrike :(
Not to mention scepticaemia if the infected perineum is not treated :cry: :cry:

Janex

I know how awkward this kind of situation is as my sister had the same problem with her friend who was neglecting Belle- she really felt bad saying anything to her.
As you know, it turns out they were not too keen on keeping her anyway.

Could you explain how horrific fly strike is?
Ie) show her piccies/stories of buns who have had it?

Offer to go with her to vets?
If she wants to look at RU perhaps you could ask for the thread to be removed?

It's possible that the diet could be causing the bad teeth and bum, back teeth will also make a bad bum worse as it stops the bun grooming.

If the bun is eating mix and little or no hay, changing the diet may correct the problem gradually. However it's quite possible the bun will need regular trims throughout it's life or alternatively it's front teeth removed.

If it was me I'd point out that if the RSPCA saw it they would prosecute.

If the daughter is keen then putting her together a simple diet sheet might help. Get her a cup/scoop that holds exactly the right amount of food so she knows how much to give and get her a big bag of nice hay and show her how much.

You can get free samples of SS which might go down better with the bun, they're slightly softer and according to some bunnies tastier.

Tam

Over here, this kind of animal treatment is directly consider as animal torture, one phone call is all it takes to end this. The bunny will be taken to SPCA, and you or anyone can adopt the bunny. that's what I would do. They clearly has no intention to take good care of the bunny.

I think Tamsin's suggestion sounds really sensible - really tactful, and will probably get results. These aren't strangers down the road we are talking about here.

Back