• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Poor Brian, advice PLEASE

beck

Mama Doe
Brian has had a sticky bum the last week which I have put down to him having extra pellets to feed him up, it is now apparent that he could not eat them, he can hardly stand, his back end keeps giving way. I know this is the e.c.:cry: :cry: :cry:
I don't know what to do, I can get him to vets this morning but can they do anything? he is eating and drinking but is it even fair to keep him going.....
I can't stop crying Jane, Jaypot, adele, anyone am I losing my little man??????

beck i am so sorry hun, i know very little about EC so cant help but just wanted to say i am so sorry for you and brian and think a trip to the vets would be the best thing they will advise to the best course of action

sending healing vibes

Eve x

beck said:
Thankyou eve, the vets open at 8 :(

i know :cry: not to long to wait hun, let us kow how he is when you get back i will be thinking of him, he was treated with pancar wasnt he? would another dose help?

bunnylove said:
he was treated with pancar wasnt he? would another dose help?

I don't think so eve, its just a matter of treating it early enough...or not. Once the damage is done it isn't reversible.

Awww Beck I am so sorry
If you can get Brian to the Vets they could try a dose of steroids to see if any inflammation is involved. This might alleviate his symptoms.
I dont think he is suffering as such, he just cant feel his back end.
If the steroid injection does not relieve the symptoms then it is unlikely he will regain much use of his back end. You then need to look at his personality. Is he a calm happy boy despite his disability. Are you able to cope with the very hands on care of a disabled Bun? This would involve keeping his bum clean, helping him reach his caecotrophs,making sure he does not get urine scald as he is likely to loose control of his bladder. You may even have to express his bladder for him eventually.
It really is down to you knowing Brian and how he would cope with such a disability.
I'd get him to the Vets ASAP and see what he/she says but personally I dont think you HAVE to make any 'final decision' today if Brian is eating and not distressed by his situation.
I'll PM you my phone number if I can be of any more help.
I have to pop out to Tesco at some stage so if I am not here leave a number I can call you back on.
Try to be strong for Brian. He needs his Mum
We will support you all we can
Janex

Aw Jane thanks, I shall see what the vets says, obviously I would do anything it takes to help him.
Buns are so good at hiding things, I've just been sitting with him and he's tucking into his food but every now and then will just stop for a minute - like it's such an effort for him.
I'll keep you posted.

Brian knows he is safe in your care and whatever happens he could not be more loved.
I am here if you need me
Janex

The vets opening hours have changed :roll: now 9 - 12, I have an appointment for 10.50.
Thankfully he is seeing his usual vet I spoke to her on the phone.
Brian has perked up and is more steady - has even been up on his hind legs washing his face - so now I am worrying about stressing him out at the vets :( :roll:
Anyway I will let you know what happens.

Thats sounding very encouraging. If his legs were much weaker earlier it may be because he had been sitting still for a long while. Buns with increasingly compromised hind leg use often benifit from physiotherapy to try to retain some muscle tone and a good blood circulation.
Will be thinking of the lil' man this morning.
Janex

Sorry, can`t really offer any advice on this one but am sending bucket loads of positive healing vibes Brians way........................................... And ofcourse big supportive hugs for you.

Su.x

Oh poor Brian :( Beck, I hope everything goes well at the vets. Has Brian been on a long course of Panacur for the Ec? It is best that he does - I would think about a three month course :?
Please let us know how he gets on - maybe, just maybe it is something different and he needs a bit of rest - I am keeping everything crossed and sending loads of healing vibes to him - xxxx

Not good news I'm afraid :( when I walked in Michele said 'is it time to say goodbye' that was it I was in floods :( he could'nt walk across the floor for the vet - he wasn't using his back legs, he has had an injection and we'll see how he is Tuesday, if there is no improvement...

Thanks Jay, he had a months course of panacur not 3 months :(

So lots of love and treats this weekend for my little Brian :cry:

beck said:
Not good news I'm afraid :( when I walked in Michele said 'is it time to say goodbye' that was it I was in floods :( he could'nt walk across the floor for the vet - he wasn't using his back legs, he has had an injection and we'll see how he is Tuesday, if there is no improvement...

Thanks Jay, he had a months course of panacur not 3 months :(

So lots of love and treats this weekend for my little Brian :cry:

sorry to hear that beck, lets hope he improves over the next couple of days, is it not worth doing a longer course of panacar? would it help?

eve x

Hopefully the injection was a steroid which might just help a bit.
You may find he drinks and wees a lot more due to the Meds so he might get a bit wet around his back end.
It is often easier to keep a disabled Bun clean and dry if they are bedded on towels/Vetbed which you can change frequently. Putting hay up in a rack is a good idea otherwise it gets all tangled around buns back legs.
Sending lots of comforting vibes to Brian. You have my phone number if you need a chat.
Janex

I think it was a steroid injection Jane - the vet did say he may drink and wee more.
I have him on towels in the base of an indoor cage in the living room, Just want to keep him comfortable and everything is crossed that he improves by Tuesday.

Thanks everyone for all your help and kind words.x

I am sure Brian feels very safe and much loved. He will benefit from your TLC just as much as from his prescription meds.
I will be thinking of him.
Janex

aawww Beck.. sorry to hear Brian is poorly. I will keep my fingers crossed that he is feeling a bit better by Tuesday.

Awww, I'm sorry to hear Brian is not too well. Hope he gets a bit better over the weekend. I am thinking of you. XXX

Back