• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Lots of Advice needed please

fairy3853

Young Bun
Hi Everyone.

I have visited the site a few time, but becouse I dont have a bunny, feel a bit cheeky posting. Anyway, if its ok, I have a few questions that I would like some help with.

I have had a bunny in the past, however that was many years ago, im still in the research process for when the time comes that I can have my own bun. In the mean time, Im going to be looking after a friends Rabbit, Hes a gray lop called Eddie Murphy and a much loved pet of a child. Hes handled often and is much a part of the family where he lives, and I would like any advise you can give me on making his stay with me enjoyable.

Hes used to walks on his harnes and I plan on taking him for a little walk when I take my dog, hes also used to dogs so thats not a problem.

Hes going to be staying in a 6x4 shed, which I originaly used for my ferret who past away about 6mths ago. I have built a shelf onto one half and plan on covering that in carpet and there is ramp for him to climb up if he needs to. Also I have an old upturned plastic Dog baset for him to hid under and a built up cat litter tray for his bed, as well has a normal cat litter tray, Im going to try and litter train him. What litter is best, Am I right in thinking that they sometimes nibble the litter, I was planing on using Wooded Pellets for caty.

I plan on letting Mr Murphy in the house and would like to know what I can use to stop him chewing any cables, Just now I dont have the time or the money to completly rabbit proof my house and was wondering what I could use as a deterent.

Also, Im worried that he wont have enough room. I did have a run built onto the shed, however I have had to use the panels to fenc off the garden due to the dog having a bad leg (vets instructions)

Well, im realy sorry to have rambled on, but im just so excited, hes only visiting, its not like I can keep hime, but id hate to get anything wrong.
Any advise is greatly appreciated and if you can think of anything I havnt asked (doubt that) that you feel may help me and Eddie, please let me know.

Thanks
Sharon :D

Hiya!!! Glad you want to learn!! Lots of people come on here who don't have bunnies to begin with!! :wink:

For houseproofing cables, see... http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/viewtopic.php?t=20600&highlight=cable

Taking him for walks....erm, I would only reccomend using him on his harness in the garden, he may be used to it and dogs, but by going out, you may encounter other dogs who see him as a rather tasty snack :? . You're also then exposing him to possible diseases and viruses spread by other wild animals, and you do not know whether anything he eats has been sprayed or poisoned by any pollutants. That's my train of thought anyway. But don't let that stop you having him out in the garden, as they are wonderful to watch and I'm glad that you're on here learning!!! See the photo's section "sticky" at the top of the list for housing ideas.!! :D

Hi
I used to use care fresh in my bunnies litter tray,but it was costing me a small fortune.
I have just started to use wood based litter and my bunnies have been fine with it.They have not tried to eat it at all :D .

Hiya,

If you can't have your own bunny borrowing a friends sounds a good solution :D

The shed sounds a lovely set up and should give him plenty of space, especially if you're going to let him run around inside sometimes too.

Wood based cat litter is fine. What you need to avoid is the clay/clumping litters as they can form a block in their gut if they eat it. Rabbits generally pick a corner for going to the loo, so if you put the tray there he'll soon catch on. You'll probably find he goes all over the place at first until he's settled in and knows its his place.

Hose pipe is quite a cheap/easy way to protect wires. Just split it length wise and push the wire inside.

The only other thing you might want to think of to add to his shed are some toys. Like dogs, bunnies love to play, things like a plastic flower pot, card board toilet roll/boxes etc. are all popular. If you know anyone with an apple tree they love twigs off those to chew :)

Have a good time with your visitor :)

Tam

Go w/ what Tam said on the hose. I spent $20 to $30, and that's all I need to protect all the needed cables in the house.

Rubber hose can be found in any hardware store under plumbing. The trick is to know that a rabbit's mouth can't open too wide, so if the diameter of the hose is wide enough, they'll won't open their mouth that wide just to chew the cable.

In my house, I use big diameter hose, and I also use small diameter but a hard plastic type hose (not rubber), the hard plastic is solid enough that once the cable is inside, it becomes one solid cylinder, and he can't bite thru.

By the way, does Eddie Murphy swears a lot?

I have large cat litter trays for my rabbits, i put newspaper on the bottom and hay on top. They like to sit in them and nibble the hay. Its more comfy for them then wood based litter so they are more likely to use it! :D

Thanks everyone for all the advise, I never for one minuate considered bugs and germs he could pick up while walking, think I might not take him for a walk, or maybe just round the garden.

Will try the newspaper and hay for the litter tray, might even try the litter one at the same time, see which one he likes.

Im not sure about swearing, but apparantly he does give you a little nip, if you dont rub his head when he tels you to.

Im so excited, its better than christmas :roll:

Back