• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

A funny eye

Hi,

I've just been doing a check of all the buns and discovered that one of them has a small whitish/cloudy mark in the middle of his eye. it looks like its close to the surface.

Has anyone any ideas on what this is? what could cause it?

He is pefectly happy and normal within himself, just not sure if to go to the vet or just see how it goes.

~

Flopsy has something similar but it usually solidifies and falls off, like with human beings, it's generally dust and dirt collecting through the day. When they wake up there's a crusty residue on the outside of the eye?

I might be wrong though. I know with Flopsy it's not conjunctivitis. It may well be something different for your bun.

Hope all is ok x

Yes I was thinking along the lines of a cataract but wasnt sure if buns can get them. He is about 10 months old he is a little lionhead.

charlieevans17 said:
Yes I was thinking along the lines of a cataract but wasnt sure if buns can get them. He is about 10 months old he is a little lionhead.

I would pop him along to your Vets. Sometimes lens damage can happen at birth (causing cataracts) as a result of the Doe passing on EC (a parasitic infection) to the Kits via the Birth canal. Your Vet will be able to advise you.
Janex

I know you said it's in the middle of the eye, but you should also know that bunnies have a "3rd eyelid" :shock: which is a whitish kinda colour, but if you ever see this, it usually sits in the corner of their eye. V common in lops, but my lil' Treacle shows hers from time to time :D

A funny eye updated

I've just got back from the vet with gremlin and he has an ulcer on his eye. Caused by some sort of trauma.

So now I have to apply antibiotic ointment twice daily and back to the vet next week. It will probably take some time to heal apparently but shouldnt have any long term damage.

Hi Charlie

It's great to hear that Gremlin's going to be okay :D . I'm taking Manny to the vet this afternoon because I've noticed that one of his eyes has become cloudy. Can I ask, on Gremlin, is it his entire pupil - all the black bit - that is cloudy or just a spot? Did you notice him hurting his eye at any point? Manny's entire pupil is cloudy and I haven't noticed his eye being sore at all.

Anna x

It was just a small patch on his eye, on and just below his pupil. he is fine in him self, I didnt notice him hurting it at all. Hope manny is ok.

Back