• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Still having problems with Dusty post spay :(

SarahP

Wise Old Thumper
Please help guys - these are my first rabbits, and I've really got nothing to compare them with!!

Both rabbits were spayed on Friday, and ever since then Dusty was less well than Clover, and ate less, but was gradually building up her appetite. Two days ago she stopped eating altogether, and I syringe fed her Science Recovery, which seemed to kick start her appetitite. Last night when I came home from work she seemed back to her normal self, for the first time since the op.

But this morning, she wouldn't touch a thing. Syringe feeding wasn't successful, so my husband took her back to the vets while I went to work. The vet gave her an injection to stop gut stasis, and since she's been home she has been drinking lots, and has definitely had some dried food and carrot greens. I've just got back to work from home this afternoon, so I can keep an eye on things, and I've just given her a small pile of grass and dandelions to munch on, which she has had a few mouthfuls of but that's all.

The vet gave us some more Science Recovery to syringe feed her with. But should I be, if she has eaten a fair bit since she has come home from having the injection?? And how on earth am I supposed to stop this stasis from reocurring?? She was so totally normal yesterday evening.

I'm so confused and worried... :? Would be very grateful for some help.

Hi.
Whats coming out the other end!!??
Is she passing normal poops (normal in size/ quantity)?
If so then I would just try to observe how much she is eating on her own.
As long as she is eating enough to keep things passing through then stressing her out with syringe feeds might be counterproductive.
Although it is a week since her spay I wonder if she still has some discomfort? Did she have any post operative pain relief?
A bun can go into stasis as a result of pain. It is a physiological response, not just a 'state of mind'.
I would continue to tempt her to eat offering her fave foods and keep an eye on her poops. If they become very small and hard or very few in number I would contact your Vet again as she made need some more gut stimulant meds.
Janex

Thanks. :) There is plenty of poo (and it looks normal). I'm just panicking that she will go into stasis again, and I won't know straight away.

I keep wondering about pain too. She hasn't had any pain relief from the vet at all (unless they administered something before she came home).

Well if she is passing normal poops and is eating, albeit not as much as normal, I would just closely obseve what goes in and what comes out :roll:
When a Bun has reduced gut motility the first thing you are likely to notice is a reduction in size and quantity of poops. Bun may still be eating though. So if her poop production reduces thats when to contact your Vet.
GI Stasis only normally occurs as an acute problem if there is a GI obstruction. Otherwise it happens over a few hours with less poops being the first sign.
Keeping her fluid/fibre intake up with help. So lots of hay and some tasty Veggies. Dandelion leaves are a good natural laxative. Celery is good for increasing fluid intake as it is mostly water anyway.
Janex

Sarah I'm so sorry you're having all these problems!! It's typical isn't it, most spays go perfectly smoothly but there are occasional nightmare ones. Hopefully Dusty will continue to pick up, but if it does happen again, I think it's likely that the stasis is secondary to something else, most likely pain.

So if it recurs, and I have to say, sometimes stasis does ebb and flow a little before gut motility picks right up properly, I would definitely ask for pain relieving drugs as well as metaclopromide, and also ask if they will give you a small amount of metaclopromide/pain relief to take home for oral administration if necessary (save panicking out of hours or stressing her out by taking her back to the vets again). She would definitely have been given a pain relieving injection at the time of the spay, but sometimes they do need this topped up when it wears off, although to be honest I'd say it would be unusual for a bun to still be having pain nearly a week later.

Fingers crossed this really is the last of your problems with them!! Plenty of normal looking poo is definitely a good sign!!

Thanks Alison, that's really helpful. :)

I've just cleared up all the poops, so I can at least monitor that for changes.

SarahP said:
Thanks v much for this. Not sure there was a need for rolling eyes, but OK! :wink:

SORRY !!
I think you misunderstood. The rolliing eyes were just me being daft about having to monitor poops. I wasn't being offish or sarcastic
Really sorry if thats what you thought :oops: :( :oops:

Janex

JCO said:
SORRY !!
I think you misunderstood. The rolliing eyes were just me being daft about having to monitor poops. I wasn't being offish or sarcastic

Janex

Oops - sorry!!! :oops: :lol: I thought 'blimey, was I sounding that dim-witted?' :lol:

SarahP said:
JCO said:
SORRY !!

Janex

Oops - sorry!!! :oops: :lol: I thought 'blimey, was I sounding that dim-witted?' :lol:

Phewwwwwwwwww!! :D
You are not in the least dim witted!! I, on the other hand have a certificate in dim-wittedness :lol: :lol:
Glad we got that sorted, I would hate to think I'd upset anyone!!

Janex

:cry: :cry: :cry: I don't believe it - have come home to Clover now with the same problem. Dusty seems fairly OK. What am I doing wrong??? It must be something I'm feeding or not feeding!!! Would a probiotic help? I have some Avipro Plus in the cupboard. I can't believe this!!! :cry:

Will get syringe feeding her......

Back