• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Shocking, absolutley shocking/ **update with photos**

hunnybun

Mama Doe
I got a call today that someone had unwanted rabbits, " they just keep breeding" she said!! :x I was alarmed by her tone and lack of concern, so got my husband who works nearby where she lives to go and pick them up.

He said the condition of the house was deplorable, he came home with one cage with a mother, father, two babies about 4/5 weeks old from a previous litter and babies who look like they were just born today, 6 babies but one was dead in teh cage! the poor mother didn't even have anything to make a nest with and the cage was filthy and stinking, there was no sign of any food and they were all very very hungry and thirsty.

The babies were wriggling about on a thin layer of sawdust and will have been getting trampled on by the other rabbits!! I am so appalled, how could anyone be so cruel :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Mum and babies are now in a cage on there own with lots of fresh hay, she nursed them within 10 minuted of being in the cage, the two other babies are in a seperate cage and Daddy is outside in a nice cosy hutch.
Mummy
DSCF3028.jpg

Babies
DSCF3027.jpg

Newborns
DSCF3029.jpg

How awful :cry:

But I'm very glad that they are safe with you now, I'm sure they feel much better already :D

:shock: :shock: God Mum looks so skinny!! :( :(

Some people just shouldn't be allowed to have animals :evil: :evil:

oooh the poor little furries :cry: Im so glad they have found a safe home with you.. hope they all do well!

glad they are all safe ,mummy does look so thin hope all will find homes.awful how they have been treated :evil: :evil: shame nothing cant stop her from owning any more animals!!!! :evil:

karina said:
glad they are all safe ,mummy does look so thin hope all will find homes.awful how they have been treated :evil: :evil: shame nothing cant stop her from owning any more animals!!!! :evil:

I intend to report the condtion they are in to the SSPCA weher they will anything or not though, i don't know!!

Are you going to Hand feed the babies (Youngest) to give them a bit of help and Mum a little break?

Shame I'm not closer, I'd have helped feed them up a bit

the callousness of people towards animals never ceases to amaze me and we are supposed to be a nation of animal lovers....... :evil:

Glad they're with you and please keep us posted on their progress

hunnybun said:
I intend to report the condtion they are in to the SSPCA weher they will anything or not though, i don't know!!

report them!!!
maybe if they are lucky enough to even be allowed to own animals again they will treat them will the respect they deserve.

mutter....angry mumble....sorry people like that really get to me...

keep us posted on the mum and her babies?...really hope they all pull through.

With a story as sad as that, I would expect for the appropriate authorities to ban them from having more animals (at the very least). :(

That is sooo cruel, well done you for saving those poor buns.

Gem said:
Are you going to Hand feed the babies (Youngest) to give them a bit of help and Mum a little break?

Shame I'm not closer, I'd have helped feed them up a bit

she is nursing them very well her self, i don't want to intervene too much, she is still a bit agitated but is has eaten everything in sight, including a bowl of critical care. :D

she had moved the babies this morning! and is still starving poor thing. I am not sure whether to take her to the vet this morning she is in such a poor condition. Or if the stress of that and leaving her babies will make things worse!? Maybe my vet would come to my home to see her after her morning surgery! the two little ones are fine this morning and so is Dad.

The wild rabbit I am attempting to hand rear is still with me! I am tempted to put it in with Mummy and babies but it may be carrying Myxi!! :( I have got my work cut out for over the next few weeks!!! and I am I just getting over the Flu! The rescue now has 21 rabbits plus the five babies and I have 7 of my own!! so I can safely say I am closed to any more bunnies for a few weeks !!

Well done for taking these...I saw a similar story not long ago :( ..although it was just down to ignorance rather than purposeful cruelty..a common thing to come across..
As long as you keep giving mum unlimited food and water she should be fine..
lets hope she isn't already pregasnant again

Back