• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

URGENT! Help Please with Sophie! - *Updated*

loopylop

Wise Old Thumper
Sophie hasn't been herself this evening and when I checked her out, she isn't opening her right eye :( She will every now and again, but she won't let me mess with it.

When it is open, I can't see any puss and it isn't weeping, we are off to the vets at 5.40 - but what could it be?! :cry:

Poor Sophie! it may well be a bit of fur or hay stuck in her eye and irritating it..if there is no puss i cannot imagine it being very serious?!?!

Maybe she's scratched it, maybe with hay maybe by herself

Try not to panic too much Laura!

Thanks guys, i cant see anythng in it and she is munching hay fine, she just gets a bit iffy if you come up to her on that side cus she must not be able to see me propery! :(

Off to vets now, will update in a bit xxx

Using natural tear eye drop to drop some to her eyes. Natural tear eye drop are good as they are meant to stimulate real tear. So drop some for cleansing and see if that does the trick.

If not, then we are dealing w/ something more serious and I would see a vet.

the brand I use is called Celluvisc. Highly recommend.

It doesn't sound to serious, so don't panic yet. She's probably either got something caught it it, or had something caught it is that maybe caused a little scratch that's uncomfortable.

I imagine like Happy Hopping say's they'l probably give you some drops and she'll be fine in a few days :)

its probably just a wee bit hay or something in her eye . let us know how you get on at the vets . baileybun had a bit of a funny eye a few weeks back and on closer inspection it was a bit hay . I managed to get it out and after a few days of bathing his eye with a saline solution he was fine.

Back