• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Closed - k :)

Melyanna

New Kit
Edit:

Thanks for the replies/opinions/ideas/advice guys. Sorry if I caused any controversy! (Which is why I've edited out this message...So not to cause more.)

Unfortunately I don't think its illegal :cry:

Can you maybe write him a letter explaining that you feel its wrong etc, try and stay calm, don't swear even though you might like too :wink:

Welcome to the forum by the way!!

If you take some he's only going to replace them

He started with a male/female babies from a pet store.
New zealands aren't around here much anymore.
He would have to spend a good bit of time waiting/spending money/probably travelling to replace.
I'm not sure he would find it worth it.

Thing is I've already talked with him, I didn't let on how I feel about the whole thing.....Just acted "neutral".
A letter would do no good as he doesn't seem to have much of a care about people or the rabbits...

Might be illegal to sell "food" if not properly regulated. I'd ask citizens Advice, then Report it if they say it's illegal (to RSPCA/Police/Environmental Health/Council or whoever)

Where abouts are you??

It's not illegal to breed rabbits for meat but it is illegal to mistreat the stock. As angie says contac the RSPCA/Environmental health.

Hi ..sorry to be negative but a rule of this forum is not to encourage illegal activity..which stealing rabbits would be ..
Breeding for meat is not illegal and so he is doing nothing wrong...I am not a vegetarian and although I obviously love rabbits and would NOT eat one as would feel guilty.....I do eat other meat..and believe you cannot say eating a cow is ok but not a rabbit. As long as they are not stolen pets, but he is breeding for the meat trade....and he is keeping them in reasonable conditions....he is only doing what every beef, pork, chicken and lamb farmer is doing..along with trout farms, salmon farms..ect.

as hard as this maybe to accept on this forum.... :? :(

Oh thanks guys I will look into the regulations regarding this!

honeybunny, my main concern is that this guy seems like a sadist who may not be giving these rabbits proper care or even caring about unconciousness prior to slaughter. By the sounds of it also he breeds as soon as rabbitly possible after kindling. which sickens me a whole lot more than keeping them healthy in a content environment humanely using them for "meat trade". Which I do not like one bit either, mind you.

I don't like to think of it as stealing, I would say it's more like liberating :D

Having said this, as someone else mentioned he will probably just go out and replace them with others. So I think the best thing to do is get the RSPCA to take a look at the care aspect and there are definate rules around slaughter that he will have to follow.

Keep us posted.

Rabswood

It may not be a "nice" idea breeding buns for meat, but i honestly don't see a difference from breeding cows for meat. As long as the rabbit's conditions are well-maintained, & they are all healthy & content i don't see anything can be done. If they aren't well cared for, I wouldn't hesitate to report it.

(I am a vegetarian - I also work on a farm where cows are bred for meat, & I have a New Zealand white!)

]Hiya, please can we be careful not to suggest that taking other peoples rabbits is a proper cause of action.
It is illegal to take or tamper with other people pets, so please do not encourage illegal activites on the forum.
Thank you
[/color]
ADMIN

Horrible as this is, you can't take the rabbits. All you can do is report him to the appropriate people who can then check out whether or not they are being kept in suitable conditions. Maybe contact DEFRA as he may be breaking regulations in that area too.
Unfortunately (and I speak as a veggie!) people like to eat meat and so animals, both of the cute variety and otherwise, will be bred for food as long as there is a market. All we can do is campaign for improved welfare for those animals.

i would say contact the RSPCA but i think they are rubbish so try and find someone else to report this roo. What a nasty man i hope he gets hammered over the head and eaten!!!

could you maybe fake a friendship with this guy? if hes keeping them in nasty conditions you could get the rspca involoved and get him banned from keeping animals?
take a mobile with a camera...if you see anything..filthy cages...sick rabbits...untreated injurys. etc...get snapping.

Back