• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Really run down Bracken-update 24th

bunnies

Alpha Buck
Bracken lost his companion 3 weeks ago and since then he has had GI Statis lost weight and in general looking a bit lost.

But he`s been picking up the last week and now he has weepy eyes both of them, they were very red so i`ve been using Tiacil and the redness has gone but they are weeping still and a bit crusty round the eye area but its clean and not yellow.

The vet did look at his teeth when he had GI and said they were good no problems, so what can be causing this.

He`s off on Bank holiday monday to meet Florence from Bobtails and hopefully they will get on and they will be honeymooning with Mary a fosterer for Bobtails till I get back from holiday.

Will this affect the bonding??

I do feel that he will be back to his old self with a friend.

Hi.
You say Bracken's teeth were checked but was this under GA? It really is not possible to be CERTAIN a Bun does not have a dental problem if the examination is done whilst Bun is conscious. There are just too many folds and pockets of soft tissue that the back molar teeth can hide behind.
If his eyes are very 'runny' it really is indicative of a tooth root problem. Although the infection has cleared with the Tiacil the 'mechanical' problem will remain. It may now be a chronic condition which will need daily eye-bathing and some vaseline put around the eyes to protect the skin from the chronic discharge. Any infection will need treatment as and when it occurs.
Dacryocystitis (runny eyes) should not be an issue when it comes to finding a friend for Bracken. Infact it is often helpful for a bun with Dacryocystitis to have a friend who quite often cleans their eyes for them :D
Janex

How long has he been having the tiacil it would need 10 days. There is another possability and thats blocked tear ducts, best to see the vet if youve been doing the eye drops for 10 days or more. val

The vet used a instrument to look into his mouth, he`s a good boy and was happy for her to have a look around in his mouth.

Don`t no much about teeth problems, his front teeth are fine and meet correctly so what could be happening with his back teeth and what is the prognosis sp?? and treatment.

Will take him to the vets tomorrow, but am worried as he`s off on monday for boarding whilst i`m away on holiday and to be bonded!!!!!!

God knows what i`ll do if he needs treatment on his teeth, he won`t be able to go. He is in tonight and is quiet and theirs a bit of teeth grinding, its not looking good is it :( :cry:

Been to the vets today, she has had alook in his mouth the best she could and their is a small spur on the right side but not big, she doesn`t want to give him a GA to investigate because he is a little run down and she`s concerned about him finding it to much with a GA.

She`s given me some SS recovery to give him and he has gained a little weight over the last 2 weeks he was 1.75kg now 1.80kg :D so going in the right direction.

The vet thought he looked a bit more like his oldself, but agrees that he needs a friend which hopefully will brighten him up.

She looked in his eyes and but a dye in and said they were clean and normal and his tear ducts looked fine.

So hopefully meeting florence on monday will cheer him up, I do worry its a bit much for him as he`s not firing on all cylinders at present, but leaving him on his own when i`1m away I don`t think he`d be waiting for me :cry: when i get back.

bunnies said:
Been to the vets today, she has had alook in his mouth the best she could and their is a small spur on the right side but not big, she doesn`t want to give him a GA to investigate because he is a little run down and she`s concerned about him finding it to much with a GA.

She`s given me some SS recovery to give him and he has gained a little weight over the last 2 weeks he was 1.75kg now 1.80kg :D so going in the right direction.

The vet thought he looked a bit more like his oldself, but agrees that he needs a friend which hopefully will brighten him up.

She looked in his eyes and but a dye in and said they were clean and normal and his tear ducts looked fine.

So hopefully meeting florence on monday will cheer him up, I do worry its a bit much for him as he`s not firing on all cylinders at present, but leaving him on his own when i`1m away I don`t think he`d be waiting for me :cry: when i get back.

Esmerelda had a spur on her back teeth and had it burred down under gas, could your vet maybe do that?

Either way, I'm sure he'll be happy when he meets Florence and it'll help his recovery.

Mandy,

Hope everything is fine with you. I think he will pick up once he has a friend as he is obviously missing Beebie a lot. Are you still bringing him in as you felt it was helping. him. Not long now until he meets Florence.
Take carexxx

Back