• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Cleaning rabbit wee off carpets

Spacegirl

Mama Doe
Does anyone have any good tips?! Pepper insists on doing some where they shouldn't be and they stain so badly! I have some something or other 1000 cleaning spray but it leaves a meark itself. She is such a messer! She's not happy unless there are a few currants lying around too :lol:

I have a big tub of Simple Solution stain and odour remover as Mary's a nightmare for not using his tray! It's also useful for other household stains, and with a 9 year old and 11 year old staying every other weekend it's been needed a few times for spillages! It works great, you just pour it on the stain, give it a bit of a scrub, mop up the excess and leave the rest to dry out. It does take a little while to dry if you've used a lot but whenever we've used it the stains been completely gone within a day.
Unlike a lot of household cleaners, it also breaks down the ammonia which causes the smell and may cause your bunnies to pee in the same place, so might help prevent future accidents too!

Yup I bought the 3.7l tub just before leaving my old job at a petshop (made the most of my staff discount and stocked up! :lol: )
You can get it from most petshops I think, it's in the dog section as it's designed mostly for dog accidents but works fine on other stains too.
And he's called Mary as a bit of a joke and in honour of a friend of mine who was moving back to South Africa just after I got him - it was around Christmas and I had Mary the rabbit (a boy) and Joseph the guinea pig (who I was told was a girl, until a few weeks later my manager told me 'she' was a he - she was the one who'd told me he was a female before! :roll: ). I just made it up as a joke before taking Mary home and my friend said to keep it, so I did!

Three things:

Diluted white vinegar... smells for a little while, but does a fab job to break up and clean wee spots.

Pet Carpet Shampoo: I discovered this the other day and it works really well too, even if not used in a carpet cleaning machine.

Specific pet products: as already mentioned by others on here.

I've got some Vanish Carpet stuff, which normally works well. But, if you use it an area that is a little 'dirty' generally then it cleans the stain a bit too well! You end up with a clean spot in amongst the not so clean rest of the carpet!

I've also got some stuff called Pet Wizard, which is made by Petlife International (they sell vetbed and oxbow stuff on their website). It's pretty good, and I got it as a free sample. There is an option to register on their website, so I did and that is what they sent me. :D

erm, maybe I'm just a little nutty but I find the best thing to use is a mix of fabric conditioner and water, I pour it on then give it a little scrub, it doesn't stain and leaves a nice soft patch of carpet :)

I found the vinegar solution great for removing the smell not only from my carpets but also from my pc shelf that candy used to wee on.

What you have to watch is if they continue to wee in the same place, it soaks into the underlay and then it's much harder to clean out, I've now had to use Urnie Neutraliser which is an industrial strength cleaner. I pinched it off my friend who works for a cleaning company.

Back