• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

POLL ADDEDCant get a boyf for my bun for 6 weeks!?!? :-(

How Long should you wait to bond a female after spay?

• 2-3 Weeks

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4-5 Weeks

• 6 Weeks +

• Depends on Bunny

• Total voters

pepsi

Alpha Buck
Hi all
I was planning on going to the RSPCA at the weekend to finally get a boyf for Pepsi. I rang them Friday and they said i have to wait for 6weeks because she has only just been spayed, they said that the male bun will try and hump her and if she hasnt healed properly inside she may hurt herself :(
I know its for the best and i dont want her to hurt herself, but i feel so disapointed, 6 weeks, thats ages...............thats middle of June :cry:
I keep watching her playing outside by herself and feel guilty she hasnt got a boyf to snuggle up with :(

Oh blimey. I was planning on introducing my female bun to her boyfriend this weekend coming. It will be 2 weeks since she was spayed!!

Be interesting to read others opinions of whether two weeks is ok or not now. !!

Deb x

I think it very much depends on the bunnies - if the wound has healed nicely and the male doesn't bother her too much then I don't think it's too much of a problem. 6 weeks really is erring on the side of caution but I suppose the wound would more or less have fully healed by then so there is no risk of causing problems to it by excessive running/humping etc.

Mmmm maybe i might add a pole, to see what people think.
She had her stiches out the other day and the vets said its healed well. So disapointing, just feel like June is forever and a day away! :(

My vet said it was 6 weeks for a male to be kept from a female if she was unspayed!! wonder if thats where it comes from. ???

Deb x

silly4sows said:
My vet said it was 6 weeks for a male to be kept from a female if she was unspayed!! wonder if thats where it comes from. ???

Deb x

thats so he can be "cleared" free from sperm! i would give her 14 days recovery rabbits do infact recover from this op surprisingly quickly, i had one bunny whos hair was grown back by the tinme she came to have stitches out at 10 days :shock:

as long as there has been no problems and she has been rechecked at 10 days or whatever i would bond after 14 days

I think new introductions should be left AT LEAST 6 weeks after a spay. Spaying is major abdominal surgery after all :)
If Bun is already bonded to the male then I'd not seperate them at all as there is unlikely to be the argy-bargy that occurs in newly introduced Buns.
My concern about introducing a recently spayed Bun to a friend too soon would be that the spay would herniate (internal sutures break and intestines pop through abdominal wall :shock: ) This causes a large swelling at the side of the spay and if not surgically corrected IMMEDIATELY it is fatal as the Buns guts obstruct and perforate.
Also, leaving new introductions until a couple of months after the spay gives the residual hormones a chance to settle down.
:D :D
Janex

Personally I would say 6 weeks plus. A spay is a big op. Poor little girl bunny needs to recover fully.

Rabswood

JCO said:
My concern about introducing a recently spayed Bun to a friend too soon would be that the spay would herniate (internal sutures break and intestines pop through abdominal wall :shock: ) This causes a large swelling at the side of the spay and if not surgically corrected IMMEDIATELY it is fatal as the Buns guts obstruct and perforate.
Janex
:shock: :shock: :shock: I am definatley waiting 6 weeks!!!!!
I dont want to put her at that risk, sounds very scary :shock:
I was just sooooo disapointed, i cant wait till theres two bunsters. I feel guilty when i look outside and she's all alone. But then she has been alone for 3 years of her life, another month wont hurt, and least now i know im definatley getting another bunny! Also I told her she would have a boyf soon, me and my big mouth :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:

pepsi said:
JCO said:
Janex
:shock: :shock: :shock: I am definatley waiting 6 weeks!!!!!
I dont want to put her at that risk, sounds very scary :shock:
I was just sooooo disapointed, i cant wait till theres two bunsters. I feel guilty when i look outside and she's all alone. But then she has been alone for 3 years of her life, another month wont hurt, and least now i know im definatley getting another bunny! Also I told her she would have a boyf soon, me and my big mouth :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:

You can tell her the wait will give her time to get back to looking her best for when she meets her Boyfriend. And her tum will be healed on the INSIDE aswell as on the outside :D

Janex

I am so glad this topic has been bought up. I was to try bonding my two buns this weekend but after reading all the above I am going to wait also.

A few more weeks wont hurt, and they can still see each other etc.

Deb x

silly4sows said:
I am so glad this topic has been bought up. I was to try bonding my two buns this weekend but after reading all the above I am going to wait also.

Deb x

Im glad i have also helped someone else out to!
Its scary isnt it, bonding! I keep thinking mine will automatically love eachother :oops: , but something tells me its not gonna be that easy :)

Yep get grooming Pepsi Bun!!! :lol: :lol:
Thats tru, i supose if we had an op that big we would take longer to heal than 2 weeks, and at least we can push our men off, or tell them no :shock: :lol:

silly4sows said:

Deb x

I try to think of it as when a human has a big op' needing internal healing. They are told not to lift anything or stretch themselves for several weeks. Ladies who have had a hysterectomy (a spay!!) cant do much at all for months. Its the healing on the INSIDE that we cant see so cant monitor.
Actually, us girls get a bit of a bum deal now I come to think of it :roll: :roll: :wink:

Janex

Janex

I agree the whole bonding process with rabbits is very scary! :?

I have bonded many pigs but never a rabbit. Like you I hope my two will get along but dont expect it to be an easy path getting there.

Deb x

JCO said:
silly4sows said:

Deb x

I try to think of it as when a human has a big op' needing internal healing. They are told not to lift anything or stretch themselves for several weeks. Ladies who have had a hysterectomy (a spay!!) cant do much at all for months. Its the healing on the INSIDE that we cant see so cant monitor.
Actually, us girls get a bit of a bum deal now I come to think of it :roll: :roll: :wink:

Janex

Janex

DOnt get me started on how hard us girls get it! Men are just born, thats it...........we are born then go through hell! :roll:

pepsi said:
JCO said:
silly4sows said:

Deb x

Janex

Janex

DOnt get me started on how hard us girls get it! Men are just born, thats it...........we are born then go through ****! :roll:

We just got lumbered with a more complicated bodywork design!! :roll: :lol:

Janex

Back