• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Pasha's Got the snuffles again

Mart

Mama Doe
Pasha has started with teh wet sneezes again :(

we took him to the vets about 2 weeks ago, who gave him a steriod anti-inflammatory and Baytril (10 days).

the ABx ran out on Thursday evening, and tonight he has really started with the wet sneezing again. He has been sneezing occassionally whilst on the ABx, but small 'dry' sneezes.

Tonight we noticed that he is also making a 'clicking' noise through his nose, so he may be really bunged up - the symptoms have come on really quickly, he was fine this morning.

He's still running around and jumping, eating, drinking and pooping, and also being very affectionate, but were really worried.

We're going to take him to the vets in the morning.

Anyone have any advice, other than to try and get teh vet to take a culture of whatever the bacteria is ?

At one of his other check ups the vet checked out his ears, and said that he had a couple of 'polyps' in there (warts ?), only small, but that they would need to be kept an eye on.

Is ther any chance that he could have something similar in his nasal cavity ?

thanks

Martin

Hi Martin
Sorry to hear that Pasha is sneezy and snotty again. My Vet usually prescribes SEPTRIN for respiratory tract problems. It appears to be much more effective than Baytril. If after 7-10 days Septrin all symptoms have not resolved the Bun is put on to Penicillin INJECTIONS.
You could get a nasal swab done but sometimes it is not always a very accurate result as the pocket of infection may be deep in the naso-pharygeal cavity. So to get a deep enough swab a GA may be needed and this would be more risky for a snuffly bun with active infection.
Bunnies can get nasal polyps but again it would require a GA to find out.
I would ask your Vet if he/she will prescribe the Septrin (Co-trimoxazole).
It is a Banana flavoured paediatric suspension.
Hope Pasha's symptoms resolve soon.
Janex

Thanks Jane - were going to head to the vets for 9.00 this morning - will post again later.

Martin

We've decided to go tomorrow - if we need to.

He's much better this morning - sounds dry, he's honking away and scampering all over the place.

We will still take him - it's just that we know Monday mornings are real busy there, and we will probably get a better consultation tomorrow.

We're wondering whether it was just a case of a bit of grass/hay etc up his nose.

The change from last night to this morning is marked - although I'm off to work , Pam is here all day (She works fomr home) and will keep a close eye on him.

Thanks for the advice Jane, we'll certainly raise that with the vets if we think the infection is back.

Martin

Is there anything that could cause intermittant bouts of the sneezing ?

especially 'wetter' ones with some discharge.

Were wondering whether the ABx that he was put on last time actually helped at all - and that the sneezing would have gone away without them.

Apart form dust and carpet - is there anything else that could cause a more allergic reaction / hatfever / Rhinitis in a bun ?

Would Pastuerella or similar upper-respiratory infection cause such intermittant sneezing, or would they be more continual and continually worsening ?

sorry for the 20 questions, we're just trying to arm oursevles with as much info before going back to the vets.

thanks

Martin

No it can cause intermittent sneezing, pasturella can cause micro-abscesses in the respiratory tract which burst open occasionally and bring on another 'bout' with discharge and sneezing. I think this is what happens with Santa as hers seems to flare up whenever the weather changes suddenly. I think it really depends on the bun, sometimes they will just sneeze a bit and clear up on their own, but there is a risk that the bacteria will get further down into the lungs and cause pneumonia and obviously abscesses in the lungs aren't great either!

Mart said:
Apart form dust and carpet - is there anything else that could cause a more allergic reaction / hatfever / Rhinitis in a bun ?

erm...

anyone spot the - err- deliberate mistake ? - looks like were gonna have to stop making him wear those silly hats.

Thanks Alison, we're take him back I think to get him checked even if he seems OK.

How long has Santa had this ? - and what else can you do to keep them form occuring too often ?

thanks

Martin

:lol: Hatfever, I hadn't noticed :lol:

Santa has pretty much had it since I got her in Dec, she only made very tiny noises when she first arrived but it's developed since there. I think she was ok before but probably found spaying, moving home, vaccinating and bonding all within a short space of time rather stressful and I think that brought it on. She is by no means a bad snuffler but she does go through sneezy snotty bouts although she hasn't had one for a while. I'm not really sure there's a lot you can do to keep it from recurring too often, I'll be interested to see how the pattern changes throughout the year.

I have found that echinacea in the water seems to help - max 2 weeks use then min 2 weeks not used (not because it's dangerous but it stops being so effective if you use it continually). Thanks to advice from Adele I use a little echinacea tincture (apparently ech. purpurae is better than ech. angostifolia or however it's spelt) just a few drops in the water. It can be used alongside the antibiotics as well. Mine obviously love the taste as they drink loads more water when it's ech. time!

Back