• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

pets shop advert

youngbunny2

Mama Doe
I thought it was illegal to sell bunnies at 6 weeks??

RINGWOOD PETS -
*8wk old KITTENS ready now from £75 various colours* *6wk old BUNNIES and GUINEA PIGS always available* *CHINCHILLAS mum and daughter complete with cage and accessories only £100* *FREE delivery on purchases over £25* *Nuts 25 kilo £21, WBS 25 kilo £11* *Many special prices in store* OPEN 10am - 6pm Mon-Sat, ½ day Wednesday. Visit us at 16 Christchurch Road, Ringwood, Dorset. Enquiries e-mail (dadt-20-7055)*...

youngbunny2 said:
I thought it was illegal to sell bunnies at 6 weeks??

RINGWOOD PETS -
*8wk old KITTENS ready now from £75 various colours* *6wk old BUNNIES and GUINEA PIGS always available* *CHINCHILLAS mum and daughter complete with cage and accessories only £100* *FREE delivery on purchases over £25* *Nuts 25 kilo £21, WBS 25 kilo £11* *Many special prices in store* OPEN 10am - 6pm Mon-Sat, ½ day Wednesday. Visit us at 16 Christchurch Road, Ringwood, Dorset. Enquiries e-mail (dadt-20-7055)*...

:evil: :evil: It is! Who should this be reported to guys?!?!

xxx

It's actually illegal?? Damn I wish I knew that when I saw the 6 week old baby bunnies in our local pet shop I'd have reported them to the RSPCA! :evil:

AMETHYST

I don't think it actually is, I may be wrong though.

Either way its way too young to be away from mum :(

Karly said:
"It is against the LAW to sell a bunny under 8 weeks of age - The Pet Animals Act of 1951" - from http://www.belgravebunnies.co.uk/

Its not that clear cut Carly,

S3(c) states that animals, being mammals, will not be sold at too early an age;

what "too young an age" constitutes is not defined and seems rather subjective to me. Whilst i think we all agree 8 /10 weeks is best practice, 6 weeks may be a legally arguable but morally reprehensible position.

JGT said:
Karly said:
"It is against the LAW to sell a bunny under 8 weeks of age - The Pet Animals Act of 1951" - from http://www.belgravebunnies.co.uk/

Its not that clear cut Carly,

S3(c) states that animals, being mammals, will not be sold at too early an age;

what "too young an age" constitutes is not defined and seems rather subjective to me. Whilst i think we all agree 8 /10 weeks is best practice, 6 weeks may be a legally arguable but morally reprehensible position.

Yup, I looked into it after reading that and found the exact thing you said so it is a bit undefined :?

Back