• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Switching vets

Should I change vets?

• Yes!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

melaniejb

Mama Doe
I wonder if any of you have any advise whether we should change vets for Albert and Poppy?

The reasons that I am thinking of changing are:
1 - The first thing that bothered me was that the vet picked albert up using his scruff and I am under the impression that this is a wrong way of handling rabbits.
2 - when we took albert and poppy in and they had to spend the whole day there, instead of asking me to bring in their regular food, they fed them a totally different feed and (I only just put 2 & 2 together this morning) this probably explains why Albert had jelly poo the following night.
3 - Albert was weeing everywhere and losing weight and it cost £1000 for the diagnosis and about £75 of that was for a blood test that their machine messed up on so we had to pay another £200 for an out of house lab test to be done...all of this was to find out that Albert MIGHT have been suffereing from E.Cuniculi but there didn't seem to be anything else wrong.

Apart from that, the vets are all lovely and the vet that 'treated' Albert is a really kind, professional person and I don't want to leave. They were extremely thorough when Albert was not well and I don't resent paying a penny if it was all necessary but several people have said that it sounds as though they were just trying to make the most of it as Albert is insured (not that we got the money back). But anyway, the vets know Albert and Poppy and I do trust them with the surgical/vetinary care of my buns but thay have done a couple of things that do not fit in with my idea of good bunny care...What do you think I should do?

You have listed 3 reasons why you are not (and rightly so) fully satisfied with your vet, so it's worth looking round for a better one (based on bunny owner recommendations). If you can't find a better one then so be it, but at least you will have tried.

The charging issue you mentioned is unacceptable. If I were you and I felt I had been charged unfairly I would put my complaint in writing to the practice. You shouldn't have to pay extra because they have faulty machinery.

Hiya,

Did a different vet treat Alfred to the one that picked him up by the scruff? Different vets within a practice can be good with different animals so get the name of the one you like and ask for them by name when you book an appointment :)

It does sound quite expensive but then if you're not paying that's not as big an issue. They might not necessarily have over charged but done more tests because they know many owners without insurance can't afford that much. When you have insurance you have the benefit of saying 'Do everything'.

Tam

Tamsin said:
Hiya,

Did a different vet treat Alfred to the one that picked him up by the scruff? Different vets within a practice can be good with different animals so get the name of the one you like and ask for them by name when you book an appointment :)

It does sound quite expensive but then if you're not paying that's not as big an issue. They might not necessarily have over charged but done more tests because they know many owners without insurance can't afford that much. When you have insurance you have the benefit of saying 'Do everything'.

Tam

It was the same vet and I'm not really too bothered about it as I've now read in 2 books and a leaflet that that is the way that you are supposed to pick rabbits up so although i would never do it, I can see why someone would think it OK.

As far as the testing goes, you have it spot on. It was a caes of 'Do everything!'.

Back