• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What to Do........????

Jack's-Jane

Wise Old Thumper
Am trying to keep in touch and on good terms with the manager of the local P@H. Especially as now Kate has had the meeting with the Bigwigs ( Ooooops no pun intended.....'Bigwig'-Watership Down-Rabbits....get it? :roll: :oops: )
Went in to the store today to find :
1 poorly baby Bun (neurological symptoms-swaying/head tilt)
2 babies who were SO TINY, they cannot have been 8 weeks old (the age the store can legally sell them) I'd say 5-6 weeks max :x

Pointed out sick Bun to manager and he 'took him out the back'........
Asked about age of TINY babies, told '12 weeks' :shock: :shock:
Now when I say TINY I am talking about the size of a Satsuma.
I was told they are Nethies but they both have little Lionhead manes :roll:
They were just sitting looking TERRIFIED. The GPs were BIGGER than these baby Buns and were constantly trying to hump them.

I dont know what to do. I feel inclined to go back and buy the very tiny babes. And what will become of the sick Bun :cry:
Perhaps I should phone the RSPCA and express my concerns re sick/too young stock being on sale. But the manager will then know it was me who reported the matter and might not be co-operative in future.
I feel powerless.
Any idea how to handle this guys???

Janex

Hmm, I'd def. phone the RSPCA!! If I was you, then i'd go and buy the two tiny buns and the sick one, but thats probabley the wrong thing to do :oops: . Well done for keeping calm :wink: xx

Perhaps offer to take the sick bunny if nothing has been done with it. It will cost them money to treat it and effort to 'send it back' so they may part with it for free if you offer.
However, buying the baby bunnies will just show them that they CAN sell them at a young age :( Perhaps explain that a friend has been in contact with those 'higher up' and the friend has told you that these bunnies are far too young to be sold according to the PAH rules and recommend that they're taken off sale until they're older?

I think the Council as the licensing authority would be more likely to be able to take action in terms of sale of underage stock - of course the difficult thing is actual proof - but they might be able to request their records and it might just be enough to make them think twice :? Can you get there to take photos and get the photos off to the Head Office - or at least a letter describing the size of the bunnies etc, and tell them that apart from the legality and moral duties, these bunnies will most likely suffer terrible health problems if they live, and that this is hardly likely to promote the good reputation they want!

Karly said:
Perhaps offer to take the sick bunny if nothing has been done with it. It will cost them money to treat it and effort to 'send it back' so they may part with it for free if you offer.

Ace idea, Saving a bun, Without lining their pockets!! xx

That is a good idea,although i would be inclined to take the other two aswell.
I would certainly report it though.

I'd report them anyway, thye might have suspisions about it being you but they can't prove it

It would definitely be worth sending a letter to their head office.

It's not necesarily the fault of the store that they have small rabbits in.

It would be that the supplier has sent them in so small - and if none of the staff have ever bred rabbits (lets hope they havn't!) then they won't really know how big 8 week olds are supposed to be.

They are putting their faith in the supplier to send them babies that are old enough - and so will simply assume that when they come in, they are of the right age :(

If you send a letter to their head office, they'll be able to talk directly to their suppliers and give them a big slap on wrist!!! :twisted:

not good

hey just checked up the age is 8 2 9 weeks its breaking the law if any younger. :cry: talking of watership down my mum says my baby girl truffles who is a contenential giant looks like the general :cry: she is just big bt soooooo!!! cute

hey again i think you should report they think its alrite to take babies away from ther mums and sell them weather they a fit or not i walked of a job in a pets shop coz of the stock they were getting poorly ill babies and two died.so i walked and tol the rspca.they are closed down now!!! :D :oops:

Yes definitely don't pay them any money to take them off their hands, or it only encourages them to carry on. Poor bunnies....

Well the manager wont let me have the poorly Bun even if I paid for him.
I had hoped to get him and take him straight to my Vet.
The two tiny Buns were sold. Just hope they have gone to someone who has some knowledge about rabbit care.
There are apparently 5 more from the same litter but they were not out in the shop.

Janex

sparklefairy said:
what did he do with the poorly bun?

Apparently he will be seen by 'their vet'.
No Vets in this branch of P@H so I suspect Bun wont get seen til Monday....... :x :x

Janex

Either it'll be sent back to the supplier or they'll keep it until it's better.
Yeah, it won't be seen til monday :(

(Yay I can post in this section now!)

i am a cowerd so i would have just bought them all.......(3) but then taken them to the rspca or vet with the recept to show them just what they has sold me. then taken them home for love, cuddles and treatment.

i know this is very naughty in fact it is stupid but that is just me.....as i have already done this with 2 now :( ........... :lol: :lol: :lol:

the thing about not being able to be sold until 8 weeks old? - Is that the law?

I was in P@H a couple of weeks ago - 2 opposite sexed buns, (dwarf lops the size of your hand), were sold to a couple with 2 young kids. The P@H girls said they were 5-6 weeks old.

Back