• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Ill Baby

raven_guest

Mama Doe
I have a 7 and a half week old kit who stopped eating a couple of days ago. I rushed him to the vet and was given critical care and Probiotics which little'un will take with some persuasion. The problem is he has satrted grinding his teeth. Isn't this a sign of pain? I read in one of my rabbit books that vets usually give pain relief when a rabbit stops eating along with the other things I've been given. Should I go back to the vets and get some Metacam or something similar?
Thanks x

I am sorry i cannot help,but i would certainly take the little one back to the vets.
Hope he is better soon..

Hi there, yes teeth grinding is a sign of pain in bunnies :(

But, don't give up hope, it's happened to a couple of my buns in the past, and after pain relief and medication, they've made a fully recovery and are back to being happy, healthy buns again! :thumb:

You were obviously quick to recognise this sign and seek further treatment for your baby bun, so I'm sure he'll pull through with your care :D :thumb:

Carol xxx

Hello.
I think this bunny needs to go back to the Vet ASAP, certainly TODAY.
Has baby bun pooped at all?
Any diarrhoea?
Is his/her tummy bloated?
ANY sign of tummy problems in a bun that young is potentially very serious. He/she certainly needs pain relief.
What foodstuff had he/she been getting before becoming poorly?
Could he/she have eaten a lot of grass (this can cause bloat in baby rabbits) Or too many veggies?
I really would advise you to take Bun back to your Vets as I think he/she needs re-assessing.
Please keep us posted.
Janex

I was worried about bloat when I took him to the vets yesterday and the vet says he didn't have bloat, he was very empty with his stomach and his bowels weren't impacted. He also checked his teeth. Baby (Circe) hasn't had much grass or much of anything. I had all the babies in the night I noticed as I wanted to see how they coped indoors as a couple are going to be house rabbits. That's when I noticed he wasn't eating and was just sitting in the corner looking miserable.
The vet also sais he wasn't dehydrated which I was worried about. He;s been taking his probiotics happily and has been drinking a little from a bowl. He hasn't eaten anything I've put int to tempt him (I've put him in with one of his brothers and removed the rest of the babies) but since posting last he has eaten some grass, though it's a pathetic sight, he doesn't seem eager like his brother.

Apart from the teeth grinding he has perked up a lot since yesterday but he has spells of interest in his surroundings and then will sit looking miserable. I've been feeding him critical care every two hours adn he is taking it quite well. I also tried some pineapple juice and mushed banana and he took a little.

His droppings were tiny and very hard yesterday but today they look a lot better, though there still isn't much of them. He has been eating his C poops a little too which is good.

Thanks for all your help, I'll let you know how he is. I'm a bit annoyed as he is reserved by a lady and I want to keep him now! Bless him.

I got some metacam from the vets and the vet said to bring him in tomorrow if there's no improvement and they'll try to treat it more aggressively (whatever that means!) He seems in and out of it at the moment, but he hasn't ground his teeth in a while. His brother is looking after him which is quite sweet.

The matacam is why hes not grinding his teeth anymore, keep up the by mouth feeding its all important. I usualy find if there willing to take recovery powders by mouth then they pull through. Not being in pain is important because they wont feed if there in pain. val

Thanks for that hun. We went back to the vet and had four injections, fluids, antibiotic, pain killer and one to keep his guts going, he was in a better state until that! Plus he had a thermometer put somewhere unplesant so I can understand him looking miserable now!

Back