• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help with breed!

hi all...kinda new, but its because i need your help.

Im trying to figure out the breed of my bun.

With the limited research i've been able to do, i think he's a french lop... but his coloration and face shape seems to be off from the pictures i've seen.

please check out the following photos and help me solve this mystery!

P1010072.jpg

P1010038.jpg

P1010042.jpg

his birthday is ~1.16.06, so he's around 4 months right now, and is 3.3lbs.

thank you for the help!

Sounds too small for a frenchie. She looks and weighs more like a mini lop. At least, that's what the breed is called in the US, I guess some countries have mini's and dwarfs the other way around. :shock: :lol:

So anyway, she looks like the 5 lb lop breed, whatever you call it where you live. :D They come in most colors and do have a somewhat longer face as opposed to the more squishy look of holland lops and french lops.

And she's a lovely example at that! What a beautiful color!

Looks like a dwarf lop to me too.

Naturestee is right, in the UK the minilop is the smallest and the dwarf lop is the next size up, I think it's the other way round in the US?

Santa said:
Looks like a dwarf lop to me too.

Naturestee is right, in the UK the minilop is the smallest and the dwarf lop is the next size up, I think it's the other way round in the US?

Yes, although our dwarf lop is actually called the holland lop. They're smallest, and the mini lop is larger.

The colour is siamese sable and quite a few breeds come in that colour. He's too small for a french lop which leaves mini or dwarf lop. Unless you got him from a registered breeder though he's quite possibly a cross :)

heheh well no matter what he is, he's adorible.

c18f.jpg

...charging bull?

I think i'll go with a hollend lop, then once he exceeds 5lbs i'll call him the mini lop.

P1010036.jpg
:mrgreen:

I think i'll go with a hollend lop, then once he exceeds 5lbs i'll call him the mini lop.

Haha that's one way around it!

Looking at his shape and that wonderful shine he has I would say that Dwarf Lop is probably the answer, they usually grow in length then fill out to make them up to the 5lb mark.

And I love the Siamese Sable colour, I have a Nethie in that colour and she's gooorrrgeous :)

Back