• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rearguarding after spay ?

Cavyslave

Alpha Buck
How long do you think it would be best to wait ??

Shes been done a week tomorrow, and things look like they are healing ok. Back to vets for check up tomorrow.

I have my rearguard ready to do both buns with a bit of help from hubby as reckon they are both going to hate it and struggle. !!

If has the ok from vets do you think this weekend would be ok or give it a bit longer.

Shes most certainly feeling better now as the dishes are being chucked about!! :lol: :lol:

Thanks x

Hi there

I may be wrong, and apologise if I am - I'm sure someone will put me right :D. But unless your bunny suffers regularly from a dirty bum I don't think Rear Guard is necessary. If you check your bun's bum a couple of times a day, you will be able to see any dirt and clean it off before the flies get to it. Maybe it's just me, but I'd rather avoid spraying chemicals on my bunnies if possible.

Making sure the hutch and litter tray are cleaned regularly also helps to keep flies away.

Hope this helps and doesn't offend anyone!

Anna x

Hi Anna

thanks for the post. I am interested to read what everyone thinks re the rearguard, whether should or shouldnt do it.

I was under the impression it was best to do it regardless as a preventative thing ??

I prefer not to use chemicals either on myself or the buns... so am now curious to know what others take on it is.

Anyone ?? thanks. :)

Back