• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Not getting along???

maherwoman

Warren Scout
Hey guys...

Ok, so here's what happened...let me know what ya'll think about this...what it means on either end, etc.

I let Maisie out a bit, and she went right on over to Flower's cage to sniff around and check out his scent. Well, Flower also came right on over (from inside his closed cage), and immediately wanted to sniff noses. It took a couple seconds to realize he was there, but when she did, she stuffed her muzzle through the bars as far as she could (not sure why), and they met noses for just a second. Then Flower kinda lunged at her, pushing his paws through the cage, it looked like at her nose but I'm not totally sure. She backed away, and then went back (wanting to meet his nose again), and it looked like he was trying to BITE her nose!

So now on to my questions:

- What does all this translate to?

- He's supposedly about seven weeks old...isn't that too young for territorial actions to begin?

- Is that even what he was doing...being territorial?

- Or was he expressing that he didn't like her?

- Does this indicate anything about the bonding process in the future?

- Do I now need to put mesh there on their cages, too? (For explanation, right now we have it along the outter panels of the cage, but not on the middle panels on the front, as we have to purchase another roll of the mesh and cut it to fit.)

- Can you guys help me translate these actions?

- Does this give any further indicators as to Flower's gender?

- Was Maisie's pushing her nose into the cage what started it? Was this a dominant action? Or was this her simply trying to meet him?

When it happened, I immediately scooted/herded Maisie back into her cage, because I didn't want any kind of fight occurring (though it would have been separated by the cage bars, I still worried that one of their noses might have met a scratch). Did I do the right thing?

Argh...I'm not sure what all this means. If someone could please translate, I would SO appreciate it. My heart's going a mile a second right now from this...

Back