• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Emergency Vets - VERY Poorly Rabbit!

beck

Mama Doe
Tried to post this a couple of days ago so sorry to hear about Stroppy :( hope things have improved since then.
Hope he will be ok.
Sending healing vibes.x

THIS IS LOOPYLOP

If you see in general chat, there is some sad news RE stroppy :(

So sorry louise xxxxx

I'm absolutely devastated. :cry: :cry:

About 5.00pm I went upstairs to check on the Rabbits. Stroppy my large english marked boy was lying on his side struggling. Immediately it was apparent he had very bad head tilt to the left. :shock:

Luckily my partner had just arrived home so we rushed him to the emergency vets. He's had some kind of head trauma resulting in a very bad head tilt, total loss of balance and he's lost a lot of sight in his eyes. The vet thinks he’s got some brain damage due to swelling on the brain but is not sure if its permanent or not. :( :(

We've no idea what happened, as he was fine this morning. Had his exercise out in the room playing with his toys and his friend. Last time I checked on them at about 3.30pm and he was fine.

The vet has given him an anti-inflammatory injection and some fluids but its not looking good. She mentioned taking an x-ray tomorrow to see what had caused the trauma but if he’s still as bad as he is now it might be kinder to let him go but ultimately its up to us. :cry:

God I don’t know what to do for the best! :cry: :cry:

I’m to syringe him fluids and some recovery food.

At the moment we have got him home padded out in a box to try and support him as when he struggles he rolls all over the place and I’m frightened he’s going to hurt himself.

I feel so helpless. :(

His friend Scarlet is looking very lost without him. I’m wondering if it would be a good idea to bring her down to sit with him or would it stress him out more?

Can anyone offer any advice?

I would appreciate all healing thoughts.

Louise

Can't really offer advice, But just to say I am SO sorry about Stroppy, and hope to god he'll be better soon. You do an amazing job with these buns. xx

Did the vet mention the possibility of a stroke?

Maybe let Scarlet come up and visit him, see how he reacts.

Fingers crossed for the little man

Oh no Louise, I am so very sorry to hear Stroppy is not well :( :(
It sounds like you are doing all you can for Stroppy, and I am sure he may like to say hello to Scarlet :)
Please dont give up hope just yet, brain injury or inflammation (if that is what it is )can settle with drugs and lots of rest.
As you do not know the cause all you can do is make Stroppy comfortable, which is what you have done already :wink: He is very lucky to be with you and Steve, and I am sure he appreciates all you are doing for him.
We are sending positive vibes by the bucket load to Stroppy, and hugs for you, as this must have been a dreadful shock.
Please keep us posted, and give Stroppy a kiss from me, bless him.

Love Adele, David and bunnies

I'm sorry Stroppy is so poorly :( . I was thinking he could have had a stroke too :( . I have heard that bunnies can recover from strokes and even if he has lasting head tilt they can live with it. It sounds as though you are doing all the right things.
I hope others will be along to give you some good advice soon. My thoughts are with you, I hope Stroppy makes a full recovery xx

Thanks for all your support.

I did mention the possibility of a stroke but she didn’t seem to think it was what had happened.

Louise

Both EC and meningitis was mentioned but again she thought this unlikely as she would of expected to see some other symptoms rather then this sudden collapse.

Louise

Hi Louise.
I have a Bun, Leo, who exhibited very similar symptoms 3 weeks ago. I immediately began the 'sledge hammer' treatment approach :
Panacur (incase of EC,although doubtful due to rapid onset of symptoms)
Baytil (incase of a bacterial middle ear infection/meningitis) Colvosone (steroid to reduce inflammation of Central Nervous System) Leo was very poorly for about 36 hours and it was obvious he had lost the sight in his left eye. He was unbalanced/anorexic and distressed. I suspected some sort of CVA (stroke). This was confirmed by our Vet. I kept Leo on the full remit of treatment:
Panacur/Baytril/switching to Metacam as an anti-inflammatory.
This was to cover all eventualities for the neurological 'episode' (ie Bacterial/parastic/inflammatory)
Three weeks on Leo is VERY WELL!! He has no sight in his left eye and the first 7 days after the suspected stroke he was reluctant to move about. But he was FORCED to do so and gradually gained confidence and co-ordination.
So TRY not to panic about your Bun. Recovery from a 'neurological episode' IS POSSIBLE. Keeping Bun hydrated and his gut motility going is important but dont give up hope. I thought Leo was as near the end as possible but he pulled through.
Please keep us updated
Janex

Back