• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Another question - should I castrate?

karina

Young Bun
no dont do it!!!

hey there

jst to let you know i had a male dutch i took him down to be done he died
from the stress.i now have a giant of a rabbit doe and am not going through that again. :cry:

How often does your vet treat rabbits? Death from spay/neuter should be very very rare with a rabbit-savvy vet, even if he died afterwards and he was a nervous rabbit. If your vet doesn't treat many rabbits, it's time to look for someone who does. Vets that aren't as familiar with rabbits are more likely to make a mistake, because treating a rabbit is not like treating a cat or dog.

I do know that complications can arise if the bun has a pre-existing heart condition (the cause of most of the deaths I've heard of from spay/neuter with good vets) or has liver or kidney problems. You can check for liver and kidney problems with a simple blood test that my vet recommends be done before every surgery, even for young healthy animals.

I have another question whilst I am here.

I have a 1 year old Mini Rex buck who is very nervous of most things. If you put him out in the run he shakes for the first five or ten minutes and the same when he goes back in his hutch. (He is one of the buns on run rotation) He also shakes when anyone other than me holds him, but he is fine with me. He stamps his feet and skitters about his hutch when strangers go in the shed also.

I have a Mini Rex doe who I would love to introduce him to. I was going to have her spayed anyway... but do you think there is any chance of them getting on if I leave him entire or do you think she will get too annoyed at his interests? He doesn't have a strong drive anyway, shows no interest in the does I have about the place.

I'm just so unsure about what the stress of having the op would have on him :?

Thanks in advance :)

Cat x

Castrating will (hopefully) stop him from spraying so would make life easier for the girl you want to introduce him to, he may also calm down a bit, I've heard of nervous bucks getting better after castration. Before you do inteoduce him to another bun I think you need to work on his confidence a bit.

Can you have them side by side in a run or cage, maybe if your doe's confident it might help him to know that he shouldn't be scared

He doesn't spray... doesn't really do anything buck like.

She is a very confident doe so maybe if I have a bit of a juggle I can house them side-by-side...

I wouldn't know how else to improve his confidence. He isn't scared of me and the things I do, just everything else in the world it would seem :roll:

Hopefully if you get him neutered and pair him up with your confident girl, he will soon learn from her that there are many situations that he doesn't need to be worried. ARC have seen this happen so many times with timid rabbits paired up with someone confident.

Unneutered he will pester her which may result in problems.

I'm really concerned about the stress of going to the vets and having the op though. I'm sure that should he get through it he'd be much better for it but I'm so worried about the stress of it all :?

Back