• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

HELP! ADVICE URGENTLY NEEDED!

ELVIS

Warren Scout
PATCH IS IN CRISIS
HE WAS FINE TODAY AND HAS BEEN FREE RANGING IN MY GARDEN, HE WAS ABNORMALLY QUIET WHEN I CHECKED HIM EARLIER THIS EVENING BUT I LIFTED HIM AND THERE WAS NOTHING UNTOWARD TO SEE. HAVE JUST CHECKED HIM AGAIN AND STRAIGHT AWAY WHEN I OPENED THE DOOR I RECOGNISED THAT DREADFUL ACRID SMELL OF BUNNY POORLY TUM :(
HE HAS PASSED LOADS OF YUKKY STUFF BUT IS TRYING TO CLEAN HIMSELF. I AM DESPERATELY WORRIED AS HES BEEN QUITE SICKLY FROM BIRTH . I SUSPECT HE HAS EATEN SOMETHING HE SHOULDNT OF THE PLANT VARIETY AS THE GARDEN DOES NOT HAVE CHEMICALS ANYWHERE. EITHER THAT OR HE HAS AN ILLNESS :? :cry:
IM GONNA CLEAN HIM UP AND TAKE HIM UPSTAIRS WITH ME BUT WHAT WOULD YOU RECOMMEND?
FLUIDS?
RESCUE REMEDY?
PROBIOTIC?
CRITICAL CARE???
HELP! I ALSO HAVE RASPBERRY AND BLACKBERRY LEAVES IN THE GARDEN IF THEY WOULD HELP??(ASTRINGENT)
I LOVE THIS LAD BUT IM BROKE AND CANNOT CONSIDER THE VET UNTIL MORNING.........

I'm sorry to hear that your bunny is poorly :( if he has eaten something poisonous he really does need to see a vet now!. What plants do you have in your garden? could they be poisonous? you could always phone the emergency vet and talk to them, see what they sugest, you don't have to actually see them ( unless they tell you it's absolutly urgent)
I would pop him in his living area, give him lots of hay, no veg plenty of fluids.
I'm really sorry, I don't know what else to say. I hope someone else can help you. I really would speak to a vet, even if you don't see them tonight. Every moment a bun is poorly counts. they can go down hill so fast :( I do hope he will be ok

I WOULD RECOMEND HAY AND FLUIDS . IF HE ISNT DRINKING YOU WILL HAVE TO ENCOURAGE HIM PERHAPS EVEN SYRINGE SOME DOWN HIM.
THEN VETS AS EARLY AS POSS . BUNS GO RAPIDLY DOWN HILL WILL THE RUNS .

IF IT IS SOMETHING HE HAS EATEN THOUGH ...DEPENDING WHAT IT IS ...VETS IN THE MORNING MAY BE TOO LATE :cry:

YOu have to keep him indoor with no contact of any soft green, fruit etc. And make him eat as much hay as possible. He needs the fiber. If he is not eating, you have to force feed w/ baby food, make sure the baby food has no meat contents.

Needless to say, most of all, get him to see a Vet now.

I would also suggest Hay and lots of water, feeding some blackberry leave may also help (ARC have used them previously in a rabbit which had a history of diarrhoea with a good result).

panic over :shock: !!
had a worrying night, but after a bum bath and syringing avipro and cooled boiled water he settled and has since eaten some blackberry leaves. hes perky this morning and im just about to give him some hay. whatever it was, it has passed through i think. :oops: :oops: poor love.
i'll post again later.

patch is munching hay and acting like nothing happened :roll:
no 'real' poos yet but i guess hes empty. all the signs are good though.ive got to nip out and clean all the outdoor beasties now before all this nasty rain comes. thanks for your support. dont be too angry about the vet thing- my oh has lost his job and im still paying off dahlias op&care. patch is my lovely little boy (my only full-time house bun) and i was phone at the ready all night but my finances are a MAJOR worry at the mo.he'll go to see the vet later if he takes a turn but really is acting like nothing happened so i reckon the probiotics and blackberry leaves helped. i'll keep him on the avipro for a couple of days and stick to hay for today ,too. i know as well as anyone how serious the runs can be for buns. ive never lost a healthy adult before though.thank goodness he seems ok anyway.

Thats really good to hear he's so much better.

You shouldn't feel bad about not taking him to the vet last night, its obvious that you love him very much and your OH losing his job is unexpected and not something you can plan around financially.

To be honest, I have money worries myself- I took Bob and Esmerelda on knowing they had health problems with the rescue saying they would pay for vets bills, but I didn't think through how far away their vets is, so I've ended up paying for a lot myself. And Hann was an unexpected addition, as he would have been PTS unless I had taken him. I've been putting it on my credit card and trying not to think about it.

It sounds like you're taking really good care of him.

Thank goodness he's getting better! :D I was thinking about this little guy last night feeling bad that I couldn't offer any helpfull advise. I'm glad he's better. I think sometimes they just like to worry us! :roll:

Back